Help me decide! RT1200/Trophy/RT1200?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Humphrey1

Re: Help me decide! RT1200/Trophy/RT1200?

Post by Humphrey1 »

I have Triumphs and A BMW. In all honesty 2 different types of bikes, i wouldnt like to make a decision.
AusBiker
Australia

Post by AusBiker »

Gavj wrote: I traded in my 2013 Trophy after 4 years of ownership for my R1250RT. To be honest I would have bought another Trophy if they still made them. I loved every mile on the Trophy and it never let me down. The BMW has a hard act to follow.... I bought the RT as its the only bike on the market similar to the Trophy.
I have only done a couple of thousand miles on the RT and so far I love it. As the RT is 7 years newer than my trophy its no suprise that the RT is  smoother. The technology on my RT is leaps ahead from the Trophy but I cant comment about the older RT's.

If you look back at your bike when you park it you wont have gone far wrong with your choice.... only thing on the Trophy is the 20k service.. ouch £1k at the dealer. It took me a full 8 hours to strip the fairing off mine and change the airfilter and plugs, and I didn't do the valve clearances at that visit.

Trophy's triple engine is a peach but a bit rattly. The weight / bulk disapears when you go faster than 5 mph.

I dont think you will be dissapointed in either bike. The final decision for me buying my RT was the way the dealer came across.. weight up everything and go for the best deal (not just price)

good luck

Like Gavj above I also traded my 2013 TTSE on a R1250RT and agree with the quoted comments.  I ended up travelling 79,000km on the Trophy with no major issues and just clocked up 10,000km on the BM.  All in all the Trophy was a very reliable motorcycle.  However both bikes are very capable machines and will do everything you ask.

What I did find that the BMW is a little easier to walk around and position in the garage due to the weight disposition and a little lighter than the Triumph but for the pillion the BMW seat is a little higher for the pillion getting on / off the bike.  Additionally I did find the cost of servicing higher for the Triumph when comparing invoices.

Another contributing factor was the distance for servicing at 400km round trip for the Trophy compared to 120km for the BMW. A no brainer in that respect.  All part of the selection process.

The bottom line is what ever suits you and you are still riding.  If you get to sit on / test ride both bikes the decision, hopefully, will be easy.

Best wishes and good luck
wethead

Post by wethead »

The Trophy was the best bike I ever had always in the shop...that thing is a great idea and a manufacturing wreck. Don't do it!
If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.