a bit noisy

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
AndrewS0691

a bit noisy

Post by AndrewS0691 »

Hi All
I am looking at buying a 2107 R1200RT, I took one for a test drive today (first time for this bike) and found the engine to be a "little rattly' and low speed or idling,
(something like a quiet diesel engine). Is this normal or bad news?
It has 27000 ks on the clock
Everything else lived up to  what I have been reading on this site so I am hoping for good news.
Thanks in anticipation.
A
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Re: a bit noisy

Post by Our Gee »

I would say that being new to the type your best plan would be to test ride a number of bikes then you can compare . If the bike you rode indeed has a problem this will become apparent. Or better still, take someone along with you who knows about BMW Boxers.
Last edited by Our Gee on Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

This thread from BMWLT might make an interesting read on the subject, https://www.bmwlt.com/threads/2016-rt-w ... ne.162417/
AndrewS0691

Post by AndrewS0691 »

Hi

Thanks for the advice given, I have also spoken to a local mechanic and it seems all is ok.
So I have gone ahead and purchased the bike and get to pick it up in a few days.
Heres to some great times on the road :):)
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

Is like a "pinking" sound? I bought my '15 with 7k on the clock, took it back to the dealer who replaced the cylinder heads under warranty. When it came back it sounded no different, dealer swore blind that all was well. I'm up over 25k now, no problems at all, I've just got used to the noise. HTH
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

I had a 2005, and now a 2009.  Th 09 will make a thin tinking noise if I have to accelerating hard in the 3-4,000 RPM range as in an evasive maneuver with no time to downshift.  Not loud, sort of like if you took an aluminum rib from an umbrella and tapped it on a hard surface.  It disappears almost immediately as the revs mount.  I never heard this on the 2005, and the 09 runs fine, good gas mileage, etc.  This doesn't sound like your noise (which I agree with other posters is just a characteristic of the boxer engine) but I was wondering if anyone else has heard the tinking?
realshelby

Post by realshelby »

While I cannot "hear" the bike from here.....

I would say the Wethead is far from a quiet engine. Certainly not the sewing machine smooth sound the Oilhead had when tuned right. That is ok, it just runs and runs and runs...without needing any work like my previous BMW!
WERKS Quiet Ride windshields and Headlight Protectors for R 1200-1250 RT. 2021 and up RT Quiet Ride Windshields.