Installing Denali DataDim Intensity Controller

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
Blueboy

Installing Denali DataDim Intensity Controller

Post by Blueboy »

Hi I am about to install some Denali lights and ordered this controller that dims the light using my stock hi beam switch. Unfortunately the instructions are poor as they tell me to search and test wires with a test light to find the correct wire to tap onto. Has anyone done this installation that could help me locate the proper wire?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Blueboy
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: Installing Denali DataDim Intensity Controller

Post by David. »

I have no experience of installing Denali lights but have done some "Google" research, is this any help.

Are these the Denali instructions, https://d1l4i7f87txqmq.cloudfront.net/I ... _rev00.pdf

Found a thread on BMWLT, https://www.bmwlt.com/threads/adding-le ... ts.167641/ it refers to a high beam wire (white).

This might be what is required as a "trigger" wire for the Denali unit.

Found a thread on this forum, viewtopic.php?p=43848#p43848 might not be exactly what you are looking for but could be of interest.
Last edited by David. on Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

This video of the Denali components on a bench may help to explain the wiring options, https://youtu.be/Uba5D6h-LiI

The white & blue "trigger" wires are just connected to the battery for demonstration purposes.
Last edited by David. on Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blueboy

Post by Blueboy »

David. wrote: I have no experience of installing Denali lights but have done some "Google" research, is this any help.

Are these the Denali instructions, https://d1l4i7f87txqmq.cloudfront.net/I ... _rev00.pdf

Found a thread on BMWLT, https://www.bmwlt.com/threads/adding-le ... ts.167641/ it refers to a high beam wire (white).

This might be what is required as a "trigger" wire for the Denali unit.

Found a thread on this forum, viewtopic.php?p=43848#p43848 might not be exactly what you are looking for but could be of interest.
Thanks so much, I’ve seen it all  - but they still don’t tell me where to find these 2 tappable wires :

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blueboy
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Blueboy wrote:I’ve seen it all - but they still don’t tell me where to find these 2 tappable wires.
On the rear LHS of the headlight unit, there is a block connector. You may have to remove some of the tape from around the wires. My best educated guess is that low beam is yellow and high beam is white. Checking at the back of the bulbs themselves may help to confirm if this is the case. Sorry, I'm struggling to be anymore helpful than that.

Last edited by David. on Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blueboy

Post by Blueboy »

David. wrote: On the rear of the headlight unit, there is a block connector. You may have to remove some of the tape from around the wires. My best educated guess is that low beam is yellow and high beam is white. Checking at the back of the bulbs themselves may help to confirm if this is the case. Sorry, I'm struggling to be anymore helpful than that.

I really really appreciate your help! Thanks so much. Do you think I have to remove the whole unit??

Blueboy
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Blueboy wrote:Do you think I have to remove the whole unit.
Don't know, changing the bulbs themselves seems to be a bit of a challenge. Having said that, the plug is next to the LHS high beam bulb cover. With difficulty, the bulbs can be changed in-situ. The Rider's Manual describes how to change the high beam bulbs. Access is gained by removing the speaker unit from the dash.

This document might be helpful to gain access to the plug at the rear of the headlight, https://www.bmwlt.com/attachments/rt-he ... df.148063/
Last edited by David. on Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

With searching for R1200RT headlight plug wiring colours drawing a blank, decided to have a look at the K1600 which has a similar headlight.

This may confirm that the yellow wire (+ve) is for the low beam and brown wire (-ve) is ground.

Last edited by David. on Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blueboy

Post by Blueboy »

David. wrote: With searching for R1200RT headlight plug wiring colours drawing a blank, decided to have a look at the K1600 which has a similar headlight.

This may confirm that the yellow wire (+ve) is for the low beam and brown wire (-ve) is ground.
David. wrote: Don't know, changing the bulbs themselves seems to be a bit of a challenge. Having said that, the plug is next to the LHS high beam bulb cover. With difficulty, the bulbs can be changed in-situ. The Rider's Manual describes how to change the high beam bulbs. Access is gained by removing the speaker unit from the dash.

This document might be helpful to gain access to the plug at the rear of the headlight, https://www.bmwlt.com/attachments/rt-he ... df.148063/
Thanks again! [emoji4]

Blueboy
Blueboy

Post by Blueboy »

Blueboy wrote: Thanks again! [emoji4]

Fabulous!! Thanks so much I will try this and test it and let you know if this works.
I’m doing a big 60,000 km maintenance service at the same time.
Cheers

Blueboy
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Blueboy wrote:I will try this and test it and let you know if this works.
Thank you, for future reference, feedback is always welcome.
Last edited by David. on Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blueboy

Post by Blueboy »

David. wrote: Thank you, for future reference, feedback is always welcome.
Thanks Dave for the info it really helped!
For anyone else wondering where to put the trigger wires:
For my 2016 R1200RT installing the large Denali DR1 2.0 lights - the plug is also on the left side- no need to remove all the panels on the right.
I removed everything anyways because I decided to change the middle low beam headlight having already 20,000 klms on it and a good time to give everything a nice cleaning at the same time.
Using the extra Denali DataDim controller allows me to ride with 50% power normally. When I use the original high beam switch the lights go on full power with my RT high beams. Lovely.
So the lights turn on and off with the bike ignition as well. They also give you an added switch to completely shut them off if req’d.
The Denali trigger wire taps onto the red wire and the DataDim control wire taps on the white wire.
* Red wire = 12 volt power on ( lights on when ignition on ).
* White wire = Hi Beam switch
Follow all other instructions and all was good, worked first shot. I located the proper wires using a multimeter.
..Gary

Blueboy
Blueboy

Post by Blueboy »

Blueboy wrote: Thanks Dave for the info it really helped!
For my 2016 R1200RT installing the large Denali DR1 2.0 lights - the plug is also on the left side- no need to remove all the panels on the right.
I removed everything anyways because I decided to change the middle low beam headlight having already 20,000 klms on it and a good time to give everything a nice cleaning at the same time.
Using the extra Denali DataDim controller allows me to ride with 50% power normally. When I use the original high beam switch the lights go on full power with my RT high beams. Lovely.
So the lights turn on and off with the bike ignition as well. They also give you an added switch to completely shut them off if req’d.
The Denali trigger wire taps onto the red wire and the DataDim control wire taps on the white wire.
* Red wire = 12 volt power on ( lights on when ignition on ).
Follow all other instructions and all was good, worked first shot. I located the proper wires using a multimeter.
..Gary

Blueboy
Blueboy

Post by Blueboy »

Blueboy wrote: Thanks Dave for the info it really helped!
* Red wire with blue stripe = 12 volt power on ( lights on when ignition on ).
..Gary

Blueboy
Blueboy

Post by Blueboy »

Blueboy wrote:
Note: Correction-Red wire has a Blue stripe.

Blueboy