K1600 vs R1200RT

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
STeinar

K1600 vs R1200RT

Post by STeinar »

Hello all
I’m considering swapping my K1600 into a 2015 R1200RT.
My wife is tired of the long tours from/to the Alps, and now wants to take the plane down/up – and then I pick her up there on the earport.
She is from Austria, so we are down there every year to visit family and tour a bit in the Alps every year.
So – she was giving me the option to trade the bike into what I want – and not what we need to take the looong tours – two up.
I have been looking to the R1200RT before getting the K1600, but was not really happy about the vibration.
But the new WH version should be better in this concern, but what is YOUR opinion here ?
The 2015 version has all the options the K1600 have (and more) – but do like the 100kg weight reduction.
Another thing is that I’m tired of the clunky driveline on the K1600, what about the transmission on the RT ?
guest2360

Re: K1600 vs R1200RT

Post by guest2360 »

The loss of 100 kgs was my main reason for swapping and to be honest even though the drive on the latest 1600s is much improved it cannot be classed as quiet and totally smooth.  The RT. wasn't on the road long enough for me to get much feedback on it except nobody I have met have said anything negative about it.  I remember one person saying it felt unstable at high speed with a top box on but this was put down to the tyres fitted to that bike.  There have been some problems with the 1200 GS gear box but none with the new GSA which has the same set up as the RT. Last week I pushed my RT across the workshop yard. It felt like a pram compared to my Exclusive.
omnione
Great Britain

Post by omnione »

This is spooky just posted my reasons for ordering a new R1200RTWC over on the K1600 forums and spotted this forum and here you both are with nearly identical reasons for changing. Small world isn't it?
All my old bikes some my photo's some library ones. https://plus.google.com/photos/10247855 ... 44vW9K6McA
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

omnione wrote: This is spooky just posted my reasons for ordering a new R1200RTWC over on the K1600 forums and spotted this forum and here you both are with nearly identical reasons for changing. Small world isn't it?
They reckon a change is as good as a rest. We shall see. One thing.  I suspect if you order a new 2015 model you will be invited to buy keyless. My 5 month experience with it on an Exclusive is Don't bother. All very nice but when you stop and want to lock the panniers and set the alarm you end up digging in you kit to find it and rest of the time wondering if its still round your neck or dropped off miles back.  When my K flattened its battery there was no way to get the steering lock off. 
omnione
Great Britain

Post by omnione »

[size=78%] [/size]I really hope it does not come with keyless locking, there was no mention of it on the order form. It should be the 2015 model because I had the option of the new colour (bright blue) but chose the ebony instead. Thinking about it I have not got central locking on this one so I should be ok.

Does anybody know why the sizing alters when you do any alterations to your posting, and you also get messages in brackets that are not in the reply box. it did it on the other site as well?
All my old bikes some my photo's some library ones. https://plus.google.com/photos/10247855 ... 44vW9K6McA
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

omnione wrote: [size=78%] [/size]I really hope it does not come with keyless locking, there was no mention of it on the order form. It should be the 2015 model because I had the option of the new colour (bright blue) but chose the ebony instead. Thinking about it I have not got central locking on this one so I should be ok.

Does anybody know why the sizing alters when you do any alterations to your posting, and you also get messages in brackets that are not in the reply box. it did it on the other site as well?
I know its now an option on some other models but standard on others. The Motorrad site is still only showing 2014 specs so only dealers will know.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

RTman10 wrote: I know its now an option on some other models but standard on others. The Motorrad site is still only showing 2014 specs so only dealers will know.
Just read your goodbye on the other side. Like minds I reckon. In 3 years I probably changed the ESA 6 times.  It just sat on one up with luggage. The hill start I found very useful on my Exclusive but then again your talking getting on for 500 kgs fully loaded. As Iv bought my RT with the rear shock already missing my only experience with them is 3 between 2005 and 2012. With a low seat its only 10mm higher than my GTL was  and 15mm lower than my last RT. Being short in the leg and long in the tooth height and weight considerations are vital, hence the swap.
chrisvh

Post by chrisvh »

I changed from the 1600GT to the 1200RT WC in April. Main reason for change was that pillion felt unsettled by the power available. Great vote of confidence in my riding ability!

After a bit of re-adjustment to the boxer vibration and reduced power I have loved the ride. The weight differential is really noticeable. I adored the 1600 and if I rode purely solo I would have had another. However comfort on the RT  is superior for me and pillion. I took it around the Alps and Dolomites in June and it handled faultlessly on the Alpine bends. Very positive steering and the ESA made the bends a real pleasure. Of the new gizmos the biggest surprise was the hill start assist. This is a wonderful tool for two-up Alpine touring. You know the feeling when you have to stop on a steep incline ( up or down ) and suddenly you wish you had three hands and three feet?  And then you want to lift the visor? This feature just makes life a lot easier and safer.