Key out of Range

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
Gavj
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2020
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Key out of Range

Post by Gavj »

Had a strange one with the bike today.... Key out of range warning came up while riding with the key in my jacket pocket. Stopped for fuel, that was nerve racking, I dont cary the emergency key. When I put the key closer to the dash the warning went off. I fueled up and started the bike again, all as normal, then the warning came on again. I had my phone in the same pocket as the key so I stopped and took the key out of my pocket and warning went off. Tried again with my phone in the other pocket... done it again. So after my ride I washed the bike and with the key in my jeans pocket tried waking away from the bike. All works untill I am standing near the back of the bike?

Ill stick a new battery in and see if that does it... anyone else had similar? I seen on Youtube thet the GS gives you a low battery warning on the dash? does the RT not have the same.....
Gavj
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2020
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Re: Key out of Range

Post by Gavj »

Ok, so with the original battery I can stand at the back of the bike (not behind) to one side and the warning doesnt come up, but if I lift my arm, key in hand, the key goes out of range. Then I hold the key at the back of the luggage rack, then the rear of the passenger seat, and then the rear of the driver's seat. Warning goes off at the rear of the drivers seat.

New battery fitted and repeat.... standing at the back with arm up, still in range. One step away from bike.... out of range, so an improvement. Key comes back in range at the rear of the passenger seat, so again an improvement. Hopefully that solves the problem.

I had two orange keys showing on the dash, alterating between one key and two keys, one with a "?" next to it. Cant remember if that was the case during the ride? Better read the manual I suppose

Still wondering about the warning the GS gets... would have thought the RT would have the same....
Attachments
IMG_3222.JPG
Nick Evans
Bike Model and Year: 2009 R1200RT
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Re: Key out of Range

Post by Nick Evans »

Keyless ride, a solution to a problem that never existed.