Mirrors

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Dartman340ta

Mirrors

Post by Dartman340ta »

Ok the mirrors are not bad on my 15 rt except when you put something on the back rack and seat area . So today I went to the dealer and ordered gs mounts they screw in from the top but the mirrors them selves are very pricy . Amazon 20$ and where set to go. It put the mirror arm 2” up 4” out then a 6”x3.5 mirror. I’m thinking this should clear up the back view nicely..how many have done this or thought this would work nicely. 
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Re: Mirrors

Post by jackronner »

I did an un-beautiful version, a makeshift mounting for two normal mirrors.  And for the same reason as you:  the OEM ones are totally blocked by a decent touring load (or a wide passenger).  Even worse is that you have to look down an away from the road (never a good thing), and I think the old-style mirrors tend to catch things and movement in the corners of your eyes, improving rearward awareness.  I also wish they'd raise the fairing so that the breeze isn't directed right up you sleeves.  I just don't think that the bike's designers and actually riders.  Sheesh.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

I understand where the OP is coming from, but I can manage with the stock mirrors. I had to put mirrors on my previous (2005) RT to see anything at all.

I do have a single GS mirror mount, which I am using for heated jacket controller.
John Bentall
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Beemerboy,  When you say you had to put mirrors on your 2005, do you mean your 2015's stock mirrors are different, or placed differently?
beemerboy9
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

jackronner wrote: Beemerboy,  When you say you had to put mirrors on your 2005, do you mean your 2015's stock mirrors are different, or placed differently?

The whole fairing on the LC is different, so the mirrors are both different and placed differently. Although the round GS on the 2005 at least gave an image of what was behind, they did vibrate. Once the GS mirrors were on I never bothered with the standard mirrors.
The LC mirrors are better placed and I can manage, even 2-up.
John Bentall
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

B.B.,  Someone pointed out that if you angle the stock ones outboard, you can use them to keep an eye on blindspots immediately to the L and R.  I'd already done that, but found it mostly useful at night, when their headlights can catch your eye.
bicyclenut
Bike Model and Year: 2010 R1200RT
United States of America

Post by bicyclenut »

When I bought my 2010 used the previous owner had installed a set of GS mirror on it. Glad he did as I they have worked well for me. My salesman recommended to me how to adjust the mirror so the OEM mirrors were more of a blindspot mirror and the GS mirrors were good for looking to the rear. Between the 2 there is really good coverage with a quick glance at both and a headcheck.
jackronner wrote:B.B.,  Someone pointed out that if you angle the stock ones outboard, you can use them to keep an eye on blindspots immediately to the L and R.  I'd already done that, but found it mostly useful at night, when their headlights can catch your eye.
beemerboy9
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

jackronner wrote: B.B.,  Someone pointed out that if you angle the stock ones outboard, you can use them to keep an eye on blindspots immediately to the L and R.  I'd already done that, but found it mostly useful at night, when their headlights can catch your eye.

Agreed. Particularly useful on German Autobahns where people are approaching from behind at 100+ mph.
John Bentall
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

B.B.,  Tell me about it!  In 1971, on my weeks-old Bonneville, I was tooling along at around 80 mph.  Seeing a truck far ahead, I checked my rear-view and saw headlights so far back they blended into one bright light.  Maybe 20 seconds later, I was about to signal for the pass and looked at my mirror as I began my lean left when that car blew past me at a minimum of 120 mph.  Lesson learned.  It was like they'd revoke your "guy card" if you didn't top 100 mph if you had a car from a BMW 1600 on up.  I later was playing follow the leader with a Laverda 750 who would blast past traffic in the 3 foot space between the left lane solid white line and the metal barrier.  That was OK, but then he did a fighter plane peel-off to go between two massive triple-trailer lorries.  Of course, I just HAD to follow.  Longest 10 seconds of my life, and I expected (coming from the US) the drivers to be outraged. Instead, got the same congratulatory "toot toot" as I got kissing my girlfriend in public.  Really brought home the difference in cultural outlooks!
Dartman340ta

Post by Dartman340ta »

Gs mounts came in today mirrors tomorrow I’ll post a pic.