First boxer needs accessories

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
KLONG

First boxer needs accessories

Post by KLONG »

Hi guys ( and Ladies),I just picked up a 2020 R1250 RT Premium and I'm curious as to what are the "must have" farmers?
This is my first boxer (traded in my S1000 XR): do I need to be concerned with items such as cylinder head covers or crash bars, radiator shield, etc.?
TIA,
KevinL
BoB21
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Re: First boxer needs accessories

Post by BoB21 »

Hi and welcome.
Personally dont bother with protection as tall and park my bike upright. If go down fast insurance, if drop head cover just as cheap as protection. Ride Europe so dealer not that far away as rule.
Do highly recommend avant fender extender. Spent rrst on inner bag tank bag and travelling.
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

I do have head protectors on the basis that a trashed protector late at night does not stop you getting home but a trashed head cover might.

Totally agree on the fender extender, but get which ever make is most convenient - just make sure you get one for a 1250 as that is one of the few parts that is different between the 1200LC and 1250 owing to the belly pan.

I would also get a headlight protector, they cost peanuts but a replacement headlight is serious money and once fitted you don't notice them.

I always fit a side stand enlarger as well as the standard foot is a bit small and if parking on soft ground it tends to sink in. This may be me being over cautious though.

Some people upgrade the screen, I fitted a Puig screen then after six months went back to the stock sports screen.

Apart from that it is all just convenience things. I have the following
  • GPS lock
  • Small tank bag for wallet, camera etc.
  • Behind number plate storage for puncture repair kit
  • Front GPS mount
  • Pannier liners
  • Probably some other stuff that I cannot remember right now
HTH
MikeS
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 49 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

I've just put some paint protection film on the lower part of the tank. I found that my knees were scuffing the paint. Not read about it being a problem for other people so probably just my strangely long legs.

From a convience perspective I agree with Pete about pannier inner bags. Make loading the bike up at hotels etc so much easier. I bought some cheap ones off eBay and they've lasted years.
Old Foxy
Subscriber
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 19 times
Great Britain

Post by Old Foxy »

KevinL.

On my 2020 R1250RT, I have added the following:-

Avant fender extender
Paint protection film (Paintguard)
3M headlamp protection film
Wunderlich rear crash bars
BMW head protectors
Pannier inner bags
Wunderlich side stand enlarger
Wunderlich handlebar mirrors

The centre stand tends to get a lot of muck on it and is likely to get rusty/paint chipped off fairly quickly ("they all do that, sir").  Not so easy to protect (Wunderlich do a protective sticker, but it is next to useless).  I just keep it clean and add a good car polish to protect it as much as possible.

This sort of stuff is very personal, of course!

Enjoy your new bike (I'm hoping we will be allowed out soon to do the same).

Old Foxy
Sharkfighter
Bike Model and Year: 2013 1200RT
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by Sharkfighter »

KevinL

I've got;

Heed engine and rear bars
Headlight protector from Nippy Normans
Tank bag
Top box and pannier inner bags
BMW sat nav holder, holds my Zumo 660.

Good luck with your new bike.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

1250RT

- Illium engine and pannier bars
- Cansmart running Denali D2 spots under wing mirrors
- Extra rear brake lights - Skene P3 running from Cansmart
- Fender Extender
- Old Timers sat nav lock
- Illium side stand Extender
- Small tank bag
- Top box and panniers inner bags
- Top box wired for USB and Din socket direct from battery
- Headlight clear protector - New headlight £800 and I have destroyed two headlight protectors with stone chips
- Werks Quiet Ride 24inch screen

All lot of the above was moved over from my 2014, so not bought just for the 1250 and has been purchased over 8 years
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 232 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

Congratulations and welcome. I guess everyone has their own priorities, but for me the purchase of the RT was all about touring so mine were selected with that in mind. I managed to pick up most second hand on here so the pain to my wallet was muted. Essential items marked *

*Headlight protector
*Cylinder head protectors, pre-owned
*Front mudguard extender.
Pannier liners, pre-owned
SW Motech City tank bag, pre-owned
A set of additional lights. I bought Clearwater, which are pricey new but these were pre-owned
Sargent heated seats, pre-owned.
Sargent passenger backrest
Adjustable passenger footrests
Radiator guards
Horn
Headstock Ram mount for phone
Garmin Navigator V, pre-owned
GS-911 Scan tool for fault code reading etc, pre-owned

To get -
Paint protection film
Passenger infill panel
Engine front casing protector.
Old Timers sat-nav lock

Last edited by Steve398 on Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gavj
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2020
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by Gavj »

Ive had my 2020 1250 SE for around 6 months now, the only accessory I have bought is a heated inner jacket so that I can ride it more  ^-^ , it came with a front fender extender on it and I added a home made crud catcher / engine protector.

I can see how easy it is to fall into the rabit hole of accessories, very tempting but Im lovin it as standard.... maybe next year .....
speedy

Post by speedy »

Clearly different bikes with a different purpose, but why did you trade the XR?  Did your plans change, just wanted something new or issues with the XR?

You can see why I ask below....I love my XR but it's not a 2-up machine in my opinion!
2018 R1200RT / 2018 S1000XR / 2015 FZ-09 - Search all motorcycle forums at one time - www.MotorcycleForumSearch.com
Boxflyer
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Boxflyer »

Deleted
Last edited by Boxflyer on Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
scott_01_xr400

Post by scott_01_xr400 »

Apart from that it is all just convenience things. I have the following
  • Small tank bag for wallet, camera etc.
[/quote[size=78%]][/size]
[size=78%]
[/size]
Newest recommendations seem to be keeping your wallet on you somewhere if you are traveling by yourself.  If there is an accident and you are separated from your bike, you may end up at the hospital without any identification and your wallet ends up at the tow yard with your bike.....
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

scott_01_xr400 wrote:
Newest recommendations seem to be keeping your wallet on you somewhere if you are traveling by yourself.  If there is an accident and you are separated from your bike, you may end up at the hospital without any identification and your wallet ends up at the tow yard with your bike.....

Actual it's not normally my wallet it is just one credit card to pay for petrol, tolls, etc. But I just could not be bothered to type all that. Wallet is in inside pocket

I do keep my passport in there if going through the channel tunnel just to make life easier.