TFT and General stuff on the 21 R1250RT

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Ledders12
Great Britain

Re: TFT and General stuff on the 21 R1250RT

Post by Ledders12 »

So, another trip out and more questions than answers.  Good news is that my Sena 20S and Samsung S10, works and phone charges fine, mapping works very well from .gpx routes imported from Basecamp (works better than Nav V) and audio from media is fine, except...

For audio, playing media from my mobile doesn't seem to do what I'd expect.
1st off, for media to play, I need to start the track on the media player (Spotify or Samsung Music) on my mobile first.  When on the media page of the TFT trying to start music (when paused on the mobile) doesn't do anything, and trying to pause when it's playing (because I've started it on the mobile) doesn't pause either, so basically, no control over what the media player is doing.
2nd, the volume adjustment from the wheel moves the bars up and down on the screen, but has no effect on volume in my headset, except to mute when I turn it fully down.
3rd, the shortcut button, 1, which is to mute/un-mute, definitely does nothing.

For the first two, I'm hoping there is a setting on my phone that needs to be changed, it would be good to know if anyone else had this issue, or better still, knows what I need to do to correct.

I'm a bit of a dinosaur with music players so forgive my ignorance if I'm missing something simple
AndyL434

Post by AndyL434 »

Hi it's a similar story to my set up I seem to have to have the Spotify app open and track playing on the phone to get music you also need to have the mottorad app open if you want navigation I think this is an android phone thing. I have read somewhere that the volume control via the bmw tft only works with bmw headsets and the advice was to turn up the volume on your phone to max and control this via the headset. The shortcut button 1 and 3 are permenenly assigned and from what I understand are linked to the radio operation so I am assuming these are useless unless you have the radio fitted. Hope I'm wrong cos it seems a waste not to be able to have them do something.
Ledders12
Great Britain

Post by Ledders12 »

AndyL434 wrote: Hi it's a similar story to my set up I seem to have to have the Spotify app open and track playing on the phone to get music you also need to have the mottorad app open if you want navigation I think this is an android phone thing. I have read somewhere that the volume control via the bmw tft only works with bmw headsets and the advice was to turn up the volume on your phone to max and control this via the headset. The shortcut button 1 and 3 are permenenly assigned and from what I understand are linked to the radio operation so I am assuming these are useless unless you have the radio fitted. Hope I'm wrong cos it seems a waste not to be able to have them do something.

Not just me then 😔 bike only interacting with BMW headsets doesn't suprise me, my K1600GTL would only pair with rider not pillion, as it wasn't a BMW headset. 
paynes1
Bike Model and Year: 2022 R1250RT
Great Britain

Post by paynes1 »

I can't get the Connected App voice instructions either (Cardo Packtalk Bold). Don't usually bother with music as the radio in the Cardo is normally very good if I want some background noise/music. Will try playing music from my phone today through the TFT rather than the Cardo app that I know works.

Struggling to keep the Connected App connected too.    ???
Steve P
EDITJust been out in the garage and had a play ....... got the voice instructions working - don't know how though. Hopefully they'll still work when I go out next  ;)
Last edited by paynes1 on Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
DavidMcK

Post by DavidMcK »

OK guys another update.  Took the bike out yesterday on a known route that I had done many times, I planned it in MyRouteApp and imported it into the BMW App,  I think I need to start another thread on Navigation with the pluses and minuses of a dedicated sat nav verses the BMW App and TFT.

Anyway, I stopped for coffee (flask that I brought with me) and when I got back on the bike, the Maps had disappeared, it said there was a WIFI issue.

So I stopped and checked and the WIFI on my phone was switched off, its a Samsung Galaxy S10.  I had this problem before and thought I had did it accidently, but this time I was sure I had not touched the WIFI.

Did a bid of digging and research and found this setting, its under Connections and then under the hamburger menu on the top right click Advanced.  It was switched on, this setting seems to switch WIFI on and off on my phone.

Attachments
Screenshot_20210403-094513_Settings.jpg
Last edited by DavidMcK on Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ledders12
Great Britain

Post by Ledders12 »

A modicum of success with the audio and satnav.  Had a ride out yesterday and I now have "almost" full control over the audio (playing via Samsung Music - Samsung Galaxy 10), it all seems to be down to the order in which you turn stuff on, and was found by pure luck.

What it appears is that you need to turn the bike ignition on FIRST - then and only then, open the BMW connect app and then Samsung Play (and start the music) - by doing this, the map is displayed without needing to go into the map menu on the TFT and the music is controllable from the audio menu, i.e. forward/back tracks, pause, shuffle, repeat and mute (via shortcut button 1).  I haven't tried opening the music app and then the BMW connect app in that order yet, but that might also work.

There is still no effect on the volume in the Sena 20s headsets when adjusting the bike volume, but I'm not too fussed about this, turning the volume on the bike right down to zero though, does mute the sound, possibly with BMW helmets, the volume will adjust too?

Can anyone else confirm this works for them?  Or have I just stumbled onto a working configuration that won't repeat next time I'm out :-)
DavidMcK

Post by DavidMcK »

From what I can see:

1.  Switch on App
2  Switch on music

I don't think it matters which order

3.  Switch on headset
RC51 Tofuman

Post by RC51 Tofuman »

Hello bmw owners. Please confirm this.
On the 21 RT with TFT new display. On this new system to get full functionality of the system the cell phone Must Be connected to the charging/data port on the RT?

I am currently on a 2017 RT using the Nav6. Connected wirelessly of course.

If true I do not like the idea of my cell phone being connected to the bike utilizing a charging / data port. I prefer a wireless connection where I have my cell phone on my person. Preference of course.

Thankyou in advance

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

DavidMcK

Post by DavidMcK »

Nope, the phone can be on your person or in the cubby hole that has wireless charging as well as USB charging available.  The USB port is for charging only, no data.
DavidMcK

Post by DavidMcK »

A video showing where to get help for the TFT and App

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXkY9kKqwrg
Ledders12
Great Britain

Post by Ledders12 »

RC51 Tofuman wrote: Hello bmw owners. Please confirm this.
On the 21 RT with TFT new display. On this new system to get full functionality of the system the cell phone Must Be connected to the charging/data port on the RT?

I am currently on a 2017 RT using the Nav6. Connected wirelessly of course.

If true I do not like the idea of my cell phone being connected to the bike utilizing a charging / data port. I prefer a wireless connection where I have my cell phone on my person. Preference of course.

Thankyou in advance

Hi, following earlier comments, although the phone can be in the cubby hole, the phone charges wirelessly, so not, in essence, utilising a charging port.  There is also a power socket on the right hand side fairing.  As @DavidMck says, the USB port is not a data port, but for charging phones that do not support wireless charging.

For maps to work on the TFT you must have the BMW Connected app on your phone, which connects via Bluetooth and wireless networks (both, not either)
RC51 Tofuman

Post by RC51 Tofuman »

I stopped by my local dealer yesterday (usa/Calif).
I had a look at the 2021

I currently have a 2017

Here are my thoughts
1. Love the cosmetic upgrades
2. Led headlight
3. Dislike right cubby compartment wireless charging. Majority of the phones will NOT fit in that compartment
4. No Speakers/ On -board audio (forcing you to use bluetooth for everything) this is a disappointment

*Performance and mechanical specs remain the same

I tossed the idea....should I get a new 2021 OR a 2020
The new front end, led lights, removal of speakers/On-board audio

2020 with low miles......or New...would be my choice

Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Cubby hole, depends what size your phone is, my iPhone 12 fits fine. As for the speakers, you can order in the UK radio prep which gives you speakers and then upgrade to radio if you wish at a further cost. So guess the bike you looked at, didn't have the audio prep as an option.

Cruisincruzan
Been liked: 1 time
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by Cruisincruzan »

My understanding is that the early USA bikes will not come with speakers as the radio is not available. The radio option which was part of the premium package disappeared when they removed the premium package due to the chip issue. My goal is to turn that space into storage. Once my bike arrives I’ll investigate further. The comments about information organization on the TFT don’t surprise me I felt the same about the dash on my GTL and KGA. Although I don’t care that much about the radio I hope that BMW at least retrofits the TPMS that is also being left off due to the chip shortage.
Ute’s Chauffeur
RC51 Tofuman

Post by RC51 Tofuman »

Cruisincruzan wrote: My understanding is that the early USA bikes will not come with speakers as the radio is not available. The radio option which was part of the premium package disappeared when they removed the premium package due to the chip issue. My goal is to turn that space into storage. Once my bike arrives I’ll investigate further. The comments about information organization on the TFT don’t surprise me I felt the same about the dash on my GTL and KGA. Although I don’t care that much about the radio I hope that BMW at least retrofits the TPMS that is also being left off due to the chip shortage.
The 2021 in the US market doesn't look soo appealing.

I like the music to stream through the RT on-board speakers and Nav/Phone bluetooth connected to my helmet as my current setup on my 2017 w/nav6

Which is why...a New old stock 2020 or low mileage 2020 would be a good choice

In my opinion of course