Low beam issues

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
pencile
Has liked: 1 time
United States of America

Low beam issues

Post by pencile »

I have a 2015 R1200RT wet head with a low beam headlight issue. The center (low beam) went out on me and I replaced it with a Sylvania H7 silverstar bulb. after many hours of the most excruciating time I haver ever spent... might I digress.. It didn't come on . So, in the middle of preparation for Hari Kari, I happened to try the high beams, they worked fine. Here's the kicker, when I did that, the low beam came on. If I turn the bike key off then on again, the same thing happens, no low beam until I toddle the high beam, that's all it takes. The High beam can be off or on at that point the low stays on.
I also noted that the light bulb out dash warning light comes on when the bike is first turned on, then goes out. But without the low beam on. I am not sure whats going on.. any ideas? thanks!!
kioolt
United States of America

Re: Low beam issues

Post by kioolt »

I'm pretty sure that on my 18 RT the low beam doesn't come on until I start the engine.  Do you start your engine?
The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Do you have DRLs ?  Keyless ??
I have both, and don't get low beam until I demand it (or the engine is running and it's dark).
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
pencile
United States of America

Post by pencile »

I though of that too, and no staring the engine has no effect.  I don't have wireless, and I also thought I remembered the beam was on demand.  So I started it in the garage with door all down and dark.  Still does the same thing.
N3zat
United States of America

Post by N3zat »

how did you resolve this issue
jackronner
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Unless it's changed from my 2005 and 2009 RT, the single center bulb is for the high beam.  Natch, it only comes on when thumbed on.  Have the wires to the bulbs been switched by any chance?  I'm totally with you on the torture and time required to change any headlight bulb.
PatM

Post by PatM »

jackronner wrote: Unless it's changed from my 2005 and 2009 RT, the single center bulb is for the high beam.  Natch, it only comes on when thumbed on.  Have the wires to the bulbs been switched by any chance?  I'm totally with you on the torture and time required to change any headlight bulb.

Wetheads have lowbeam only in the center.
Ride safe!