Which Sat. Nav. have you got & why?

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?

Which Sat. Nav. have you got?

Garmin Zumo 220
No votes
Garmin Zumo 660
12%
BMW Nav. V
24%
TFT with Nav.
2%
BMW Nav. VI
43%
TomTom 550
12%
Garmin XT
5%
TomTom Rider 1
No votes
TomTom 400 Series
No votes
TomTom Rider 2
No votes
TomTom Rider 5
No votes
TomTom Rider 450
2%

Total votes: 42

Levisp

Re: Which Sat. Nav. have you got & why?

Post by Levisp »

exportman wrote:
No  I am a IAM and Bikesafe Observer.  I often get asked about  Stat Nav software and everyone wants it free so I was looking for something that filled that brief. OsmAnd seems to be useable and allows the import of pre planned routes.

OK free apps. Calimoto is free to try restricted to your local area which is quite large. Most functions work. Built for finding twisty bike routes. For general nav non bike specific Waze is free and good. Interesting how people don't like paying for software. If they new how much work goes into writing software, fixing bugs and keeping everything up to date, they might have a different view. IMHO most free software is not as capable as paid apps. My favourite app for iPhone is Scenic. For the minimalist Beeline make an interesting nav unit not for those who want bells and whistles.

One point worth mentioning to folk after phone navigation is whether the maps require a data link or are fully downloadable. For me if the maps are not downloaded then when in the sticks there could be issues. I was testing Beeline app in the car yesterday (not the device ) which is free to use but requires a data link. Had some issues with rerouting with no signal. Interesting take on navigation but not sure if its for me.
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

Levisp wrote:
If they new how much work goes into writing software, fixing bugs and keeping everything up to date, they might have a different view. IMHO most free software is not as capable as paid apps. My favourite app for iPhone is Scenic. For the minimalist Beeline make an interesting nav unit not for those who want bells and whistles.

Yep I agree  and although the maps get out of date I prefer to use a dedicated device for Navigation. Interestingly the OsmAnd app needs to download the maps no data connection needed whilst travelling.  I think its the first 6 map areas are free after that or for updated maps you need to pay, but 6 maps covered most of the UK.
Frank123

Post by Frank123 »

Hi I have the Zumo 395LM as it was recommended to me on this forum. Excellent bit of kit. I only wanted GPS for location, routes, ETA at destination and up to date speed limits. With Bluetooth intercom and phone I didn't want information overload of any other apps associated with the GPS. As I'm now a lot older and wiser if I have my choice again I would spend the extra few bob (£200) on the Garmin 595 for the wider screen. 
paynes1
Bike Model and Year: 2022 R1250RT
Great Britain

Post by paynes1 »

I've got a Zumo 660, and I've just checked my Garmin account, I first registered it in Jan 2011.
It has served me well over the years doing many, many trips around the UK and Europe. I've got a 2021 R1250RT with the Connected App etc,but I got the dealer to move my Garmin mount from my 1200RT to the new bike - just in case ................
So far the App/TFT has worked most of the time, but there have been issues with maintaining connection and other issues that I have mentioned elsewhere. The jury is still out so at the moment I am planning to use the old faithful sat nav whenever I do long/complicated routes, especially in Europe. (Fingers tightly crossed)
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I suspect once the beta testing programme is over with the first RT TFT bikes, there will be software updates and things will improve :)