High mileage concerns?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Ducati2

High mileage concerns?

Post by Ducati2 »

I am new here and about to purchase a 2014 RT with 45,000 miles on it, what should I look out for ,or be concerned about?  Dealer says he has ‘maintenance records’.  I have read about the exhaust flap issue, so I will be sure to have them check that.  That seems like something that could be eliminated with a better sounding aftermarket exhaust anyway..  for a price of course!
Last edited by Ducati2 on Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cortina
Ireland

Re: High mileage concerns?

Post by Cortina »

Would have no major worry about the miles - provided the price is right (and it's been well serviced etc) . My first RT I bought (1200) had about 55K on it - never an issue
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

I have a 2014 RT bought new and have clocked 45k miles with zero issues. However I have done home maintenance form new and keep the bike in a very clean condition. I see absolutely no reason why I cannot see 100K on the clock. Weak areas on the 2014 LC bikes are the exhaust valve and maybe the switch gear. I know earlier bikes suffered from poor switch gear. I'm guessing due to moisture. I have had no issues but the bike is garaged and I keep the exhaust valve mechanism clean. Maybe I have been lucky. So I think condition and service history are more important than miles. Check the bike over with a magnifying glass. Look for signs of corrosion. If not cared for the bikes do rust !! If you are buying from a BMW dealer you should get a descent warranty so there should be not much to worry about. Good luck and post a pic if you buy.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Get the dealer to check the brake disc thickness for wear. Mine are still within limits at 45K but I'm gentle on the brakes. If the bike has been used hard then they could need replacing within the next 10k. If discs are replaced then pads need to be replaced too. Just a thought.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Ducati2 wrote: I am new here and about to purchase a 2014 RT with 45,000 miles on it, what should I look out for ,or be concerned about?  Dealer says he has ‘maintenance records’.  I have read about the exhaust flap issue, so I will be sure to have them check that.  That seems like something that could be eliminated with a better sounding aftermarket exhaust anyway..  for a price of course!

You get get a exhaust flap "eliminator", I think.
John Bentall
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Ducati2 wrote:That seems like something that could be eliminated with a better sounding aftermarket exhaust anyway.
Black Widow do exhaust headers for the Wethead, details in this thread, viewtopic.php?p=51682#p51682
Ducati2

Post by Ducati2 »

Thanks folks! This is helping me feel better about taking the plunge.  In looking at these RTs, I noticed most are stripped of their gps unit. Brackets are usually there, but people seem to take their unit when they sell.  This is true at least on the pre 2014 models, are the 2014 + models built in ?  I have not seen one up close yet.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Ducati2 wrote:This is true at least on the pre 2014 models, are the 2014 + models built in.
On a 2014+ Wethead, the sat. nav. mount/cradle is integrated into the dash but the unit itself is detachable.

This is what the dash looks like with the BMW cover in place where the sat. nav. goes.

Last edited by David. on Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Just check with dealer that SatNav wiring has been fitted. If not its not a big job maybe something to haggle for if not fitted. Might also add if you are after the BMW Satnav then a good time to buy is when buying bike. Dealers are often able to offer discounts with bike purchase.
bushbikie

Post by bushbikie »

I've put 193K kms (120K miles) on my 2016 RT and it feels that there's still lots more to go! Very happy with this bike. Replaced front fork seals twice. That's about all that's been an issue for me, and really, they are consumable items anyway. I get the brake systems flushed every year, because of the mileage I put on it, and am about to replace the cooling system hoses, again because of the mileage. Clutch still feels fine. No problems with the drive shaft or final drive, although the accordian boot seal developed a crack and was re-sealed, awaiting a replacement at the 200K service.
As for a 2014 model, there was the infamous rear shock saga. There was a recall done for that. That should have been done, but ask anyway. There has also been Internet comment about the reliability of alternator stators. Apparently the early 2014 stators were prone to failure and BMW changed the stator design. You might want to do some digging and find out if the bike your looking at is before or after the date of stator change. Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2016 San Marino Blue
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Bushbikie that's good to see no problems on a high milage bike. 120K miles that's going some. Gives me confidence that I will manage my 100K without issues. Thanks for posting.
bushbikie

Post by bushbikie »

Levisp wrote: Bushbikie that's good to see no problems on a high milage bike. 120K miles that's going some. Gives me confidence that I will manage my 100K without issues. Thanks for posting.
Hoping to make 300K kms at least! Mind you, those 2021 RT's look gorgeous in blue![emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2016 San Marino Blue
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

If you have any concerns you can purchase warranties through BMW , some strange comments on here , how do you keep the exhaust flap clean ? i have just had my exhaust flap repaired under warranty , i explained my concern of this fault and mentioned using high temperature grease and was informed that is no good , funny old world .
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

hammo wrote:If you have any concerns you can purchase warranties through BMW.
The BMW Motorrad "Insured Warranty" has a mileage limitation of 80,000 miles at the commencement date.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Ducati2 wrote:I about to purchase a 2014 RT with 45,000 miles on it. Dealer says he has ‘maintenance records’.
Is the bike coming from a BMW Motorrad Dealer with a 2 year unlimited mileage used bike warranty.
Last edited by David. on Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.