Wunderlich vs Illium Protection Bars?

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Rick G

Wunderlich vs Illium Protection Bars?

Post by Rick G »

I have a new 2020 1250RT coming as soon as the brake recall is completed.  I plan on putting engine and luggage protection bars on as I know I will drop this beauty at some point in not too distant future.  A slip of the foot at a stop.  Some oil on boot sole at gas stop.  Pushing around the garage.  If my history has taught me anything, it is when not if!  LOL

So I am looking at reccomendations between the Wunderlich vs Ilium Works protection bars.  Wunderlich's appear to be slightly more protecive around cyclinder head and use a larger hoop in rear for luggage.  Ilium is a little bit cheaper but not by that much to be a huge factor, especially after dropping $20K+ on new bike,

I appreciate your real world reviews.

Thanks!

Rick G
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Wunderlich vs Illium Protection Bars?

Post by Casbar »

I went with Illium. Watched the vid on their site of the owner dropping his bike with them fitted. I also like the rear bars as they unbolt easily if you don't always ride with bags. The rears are also lower, so they don't rub on my wifes calves when she is on the pillion. But Wunderlich are also ok, Illium are expensive. I bought mine from Mike at Sportouring. We have also fitted the same bars to two 1250s we have in our blood bike fleet. If you do a search on the BMW LT forum, there are loads of threads about engine bars
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 218 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

The worrying thing about the video is that, if you watch carefully, something appears to fly off the bike as it hits the ground!
Bytio

Post by Bytio »

Is there anywhere in the UK that sells ilium bars?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Littlebriar

Post by Littlebriar »

I tried both on my 2016 RT. The Illium installed easier and you could remove the valve covers without removal. I have tested them (inadvertently) several times and they work as expected.
Steve
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I have bought 3 sets off of Mike at sportouring, he is a good chap to deal with.
Rick G

Post by Rick G »

I ended up going with the Wunderlich bars.  Primarily because the front set looks better IMO.  Picking up my bike in 9 days.  Quite excited

.Image

Rick G