Battery life.

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
Potential new owner..
Been liked: 1 time

Battery life.

Post by Potential new owner.. »

Possibly been covered in previous threads but just like to ask..what would be a good battery life from new? My 66 reg iconic was flat today despite going for a good run last weekend. I usually have it on a maintenance charger but not the last few days.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Battery life.

Post by Casbar »

Think batteries are very variable. On my last bike, my battery lasted for 5 years and was still good when I sold it. The one on my 1250 is two years old and fine. I do use an optimate, but not continuously, so leave it on for a week or so, then let the bike sit without for a while, in between rides
Viking John
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by Viking John »

These days with modern batteries and using Optimate or a BMW charger once a month (over Winter or when not in use) they usually last about 5 years.
Anything over that is a bonus, batteries can suddenly die without warning after that. They seem to last longer if the bike used 5 or 6 times a week (i.e commuting to work)
Talisker
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE 2020
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Post by Talisker »

My last battery lasted more than 7 years, still working when I sold the bike.  I did ensure that whenever the bike was not in use the battery was connected to the optimate.
scunny12
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 1200RT LE 2015
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Post by scunny12 »

Mine is 6 years old and gets a BMW charger on it about every 6 weeks between November and now.  Hopefully when knee feels better, I will wheel the bike out and get some miles on it.
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

I came back from a trip of a month and half, and she started right up.

BoB21
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Mine over 4 years old and never been on charger as it gets ridden at least once most months.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I've had three BMW(Exide) GEL batteries & they've lasted between 3.5 years (ok when bike sold) & 5 years (failed & replaced).
Ed Harley
Bike Model and Year: 2013 R1200RT
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 50 times
Finland

Post by Ed Harley »

Mine was two years old and was not OK anymore. Bought a new one and asked how long the warranty is. Answer was "one riding season" which over here is around 6 months.

Buddy bought a bike with a one year old battery and that was toast as well. He has been selling motorcycles and parts for the past 30 years. He mentioned that it has not been so odd to deliver a bike in April and that said bike would need a new battery before September. Those have typically been normal wet batteries.

Batteries are not what they used to be.
1983 GS1000G | 1984 GSX1100EF | 1997 FLHR | 2016 FLSTC | Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200 XRT
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I have a conventional wet flooded battery on my Yamaha XJ650 which is now 4 years old and still going strong.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Although I do use an Optimate myself I am aware that they can create a false sense of security. Until recently I used to go on an annual two week trip to the South of France. Two or three weeks before my intended departure I would stop using the Optimate to check how the battery was performing "without" being coupled up to it's daily dose of power. This would give the opportunity to replace a "suspect" Battery before my departure and avoid trying to source a Battery abroad. Using this regime I did once change the Battery on my 2008 Hexhead a week before my departure date. In the grand scheme of things Batteries are relatively cheap and not worth taking a chance on.