1200 RT TIME LINE

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
guest2360

1200 RT TIME LINE

Post by guest2360 »

For the benefit of those not so familiar with the RT and finding this forum maybe its a good time to lay out its progress since its launch in 2005. Those of you with superior knowledge please feel free to correct my memory.
Launched in 2005.  All new boxer engine borrowed from the GS which was launched in 2004. Fitted with fully linked servo brakes, new style panniers and top box. Very light compared with the previous 1150RT. Power up from 95 to 110 BHP.
Early 2007.  Exactly the same styling but no longer fitted with servo brakes and now only semi linked. Rear brake pedal only operated rear brake. Far better system.
2010. Engine change to double overhead camshaft. Supposed to have been more powerful but didn't feel much different. Instrument panel looked new but just had a cover on it. Switch gear changed but not for the better in many eyes. Exhaust had a flappy paddle in it for noise effect.
March 2014.  All new model again with a borrowed engine now from the GSA. Power up yet again to 125 BHP.

There have been very few recalls on any model but there have been persistent failures on some items. 
Loop ignition antenna started to suddenly fail in about 2008 and kept on failing for about a year.
Fuel gauges stopped working for a number of years and I think the design was not changed until 2010. They were normally replaced FOC.
There have been various recalls/updated on  fuelling  lines to sort possible leaks and water can damage the fuel pump.   
Most expensive factory fitted option was the audio unit that originally was just a radio and a single CD Player. Later models had an MP3 plug and finally a USB port. The fitted speakers are useless on the move and on all mine I wired in an Autocom system  2014 model has the high class Alpine unit borrowed from the K1600.
ESA was not available on very early models but most have it and is a great option and very reliable. 

BMW seen to be constantly changing the engine oil specs.  At the moment its Castrol Power 1 Racing 5-40 for water cooled 2014 models. and 15-50 for air/oil cooled ones. 5-40 is fully synthetic and 15-50 is semi.

All brakes on all models are Brembo although many are badged BMW. Replacement pads are not cheap but fitting aftermarket ones can ba a very false economy as discs are very expensive and easily damaged.

Batteries on all up until 2014 are heavy gel and not all trickle charges are up to the job. In addition the Canbus system will not normally recognise non BMW chargers if you try and charge through the accessory sockets.  I always went directly to the battery with a BMW charger and have not suffered a flat battery in 9 years. If totally discharged they normally cannot be recovered. Replacement cost is about £120.00 so don't. I believe the 2014 model has changed to LIN bus. It had on my K1600 Exclusive and only the latest BMW charger would work on that. Yet to try it on my RT

Finish on all models is normally good although there is a question mark over the use of Muck Off that allegedly can cause corrosion on some alloy parts.  Exhaust down pipes will always discolour but they don't normally rot anywhere.

Last edited by guest2360 on Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beemerbaz
Been liked: 1 time

Re: 1200 RT TIME LINE

Post by beemerbaz »

Just to comment on your battery comment. My BMW Motorad dealer sells the Optimate 4 charger which is Canbus compatible. I use it on trickle on my 2013 RT through last winter without any issues. It's also cheaper than the BMW charger !!

http://www.optimate.co.uk/optimate%204%20dual.htm
Love my family almost as much as my 90th anniversary RT
beemerbaz

Post by beemerbaz »

RTman10 wrote:
Finish on all models is normally good although there is a question mark over the use of Muck Off that allegedly can cause corrosion on some alloy parts.  Exhaust down pipes will always discolour but they don't normally rot anywhere.
I agree with you, used Muck Off once, won't use it again, nor Jizer.

I use The Car Plan Demon range of cleaners and polishers, very good highly recommended.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

beemerbaz wrote: Just to comment on your battery comment. My BMW Motorad dealer sells the Optimate 4 charger which is Canbus compatible. I use it on trickle on my 2013 RT through last winter without any issues. It's also cheaper than the BMW charger !!

http://www.optimate.co.uk/optimate%204%20dual.htm
Does it stay connected through the accessory socket or do you use the battery connection. I used the Optimate lead with a BMW socket on it to connect to the BMW charger.
beemerbaz

1200 RT TIME LINE

Post by beemerbaz »

I use it via the accessory socket but need to plug it in within 2 mins of turning the ignition off whilst Canbus is still active, I normally do it with a couple of seconds tho !!

Last edited by beemerbaz on Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stever1

Post by stever1 »

With the optimate 4 dual programme it will force the socket open to charge the battery. HOWEVER, you must have it on the correct programme or it wont open the socket