Bucking Bronco

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Buck
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2018

Bucking Bronco

Post by Buck »

I have a 2010 1200RT and unfortunately the local dealer has dropped the bike dealership in Guernsey so nobody with diagnostics. Over the last 6 months my bike has developed a fault that is getting worse. Once warm and under power it seems to miss and jump making it extremely uncomfortable to ride. Acceleration seems fine and it is only when coasting that this happens. When really bad it consistently stops at traffic lights. I have changed plugs and air filter. I have seen video on checking stick coils but this fault probably would not show when the bike is just on main stand. Stick coils seem expensive to change just on the off chance that they may be at fault. Has any body had this problem before or have any suggestions?
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 218 times
Isle of Wight

Re: Bucking Bronco

Post by Steve398 »

I assume that you don't have access to a GS-911? That would certainly give you a direction.
Buck

Post by Buck »

No, I take it that is some sort of diagnostic tool? Is it expensive, or worth getting?
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Uneducated guesses:  The bucking part almost sounds like the traction control is malfunctioning.  The trouble at stoplights sounds like the watchmacallit that prevents you from stalling when you've forgotten to downshift;  perhaps it's activating when you're at an idle and reducing the fuel flow.  Either way, it would seem a computer problem.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

When the engine is at normal operating temperature does it Idle normally for at least two minutes ?.
Buck

Post by Buck »

Just been out for a run for half hour still riding same. Let it tick over for a good couple of minutes and ran fine. Felt both cylinders and they seemed to be firing ok, however I noticed than when blipping the throttle it was popping a bit which I am sure it has not done before although, I am not in the habit of doing this.