Whats your opinion on the new 2021 RT?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Hors Piste

Re: Whats your opinion on the new 2021 RT?

Post by Hors Piste »

I'm buying the Sport Style, which comes with a lower screen - but the higher screen is available as a no-cost option at time of purchase  ???
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

hammo wrote: also the windscreen , why do BMW not give you the option of which screen you require before you purchase a circa £20,000 pound motorcycle ?
If it's a factory order from Berlin you have a choice of screens. If the bike has already been built and is stock in the UK, it's too late and you may/must? pay to swop. Someone should ask their dealer!
John Bentall
BobJ
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Post by BobJ »

I'm new here so please be gentle. I currently have a 2017 RTLC and as is my way, tend to get itchy feet at the four year mark so yesterday I test rode the new 2021 RT back to back with the 2021 GSA having come from a GSA to my current bike.
I have to say that my first experience of the 1250 shift cam engine was a very good one - very impressed and a huge leap forward in my view. The demo bike clearly didn't have the audio option fitted so around the TFT was just a large expanse of black plastic which I was less taken with. The TFT was similarly impressive and I am sure I would get used it and the multitude of functionality given time but I was very conscious that time spent gawping at that was not time spent looking at what is happening up ahead.
The cons - to be honest it left me a little cold. There appears to have been some penny pinching going on in that the black lower fairing panels on my bike are painted and on the £22k new bike they seem to be made form recycled wheel bin plastic.
Overall, it is indeed a truly great bike and in the main lives up to the hype in this months Ride Magazine as all the tourer you'll ever need. But I'll be going back to a GSA  :alas:
TexasCountry
Bike Model and Year: 2021 R1250RT
United States of America

Post by TexasCountry »

I just picked up my new 2021 R1250RT here in south Texas.  I have not gotten aboard it yet because we had bad rain today and I want to be able to ride hard  to break her in.

The iPhone 12 Pro fits in the right side storage compartment and locks in as designed.  The inductive (Qi) charging also works perfectly.

Yes, the exhaust system is chrome including the can. 

There are huge improvements to the 2021 model, starting with the new 10 1/4” TFT Display.  It’s simply huge.

ShiftCam, redesigned fairing, sportier stance and riding position, DTC and the Active Cruise Control with a radar to keep you positioned just right behind do the vehicle in front of you.  You choose between the distance to keep, Close, Mid, or Far.

Check this link for full details

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2020/10/16/2021-bmw-r-1250-rt-first-look-11-fast-facts-specs-28-photos/amp/
Last edited by TexasCountry on Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Interesting- according to the ergonomics the riding position is exactly the same as it has been since the LC launch in 2014. There is no difference in position between my 2019 1250 and the memo I rode and the engine is also the same. As for breaking it in hard, do you not intend to run it in for the first 600 miles
TexasCountry
United States of America

Post by TexasCountry »

I don’t break-in  my bikes in the traditional manner.  From my research, what happens during the first 20 miles of break-in, is pretty much permanent. I’ve been an engineer for 35 years so I know a little bit about engines and metallurgy.  IMO, it’s extremely important to seat the rings against the cylinder walls quickly, and that happens in the first 20 miles.  To do this the engine must reach full operating temperature before riding it the first time.  To get the rings to seat, they must be adequately forced against the cylinder walls and a weak throttle hand without stressing the engine will not result in consistent seating.  My new RT is my 46th new bike and I’ve broken each bike in the same way.  You don’t want to abuse anything of course, but the engine must be properly stressed.  No hard starts, no hard braking and no banging through the gears.  Certainly no constant throttle on the interstate until after 600 miles.  Once you’re in gear, hard acceleration up to 75% throttle is needed for proper seating of the rings.  Best done in hilly or mountain roads to put an adequate load on the top end and force the rings against the cylinder walls.  If you live somewhere virtually flat like south Texas, add extra weight to the bike from the beginning.  After the first 20-25 miles, I change the oil/filter to include the final drive.  I use Amsoil 75w110 Severe Gear oil and after 10’s of thousands of miles on my previous RT, the final drive gears remained sharp and meshed perfectly. I then change the engine and final drive oil at 100, 250, 450 and at the 600 mile check at the first service.  I let the dealer do that one and the list of checks and maintenance items.  The next oil change is at 1,000 miles.  Thereafter, every 2,500 miles including the final drive.  It may be overkill but that’s how I do it and my previous Beemers ran fast and smooth for their entire lives.  Check out this link and read a study on ‘easy’ vs ‘hard’ break-in.  Once you have the rings seated, then ride it normally without banging gears or over-stressing the transmission up to 600 miles.  After that ride it however you choose to.

Many folks will not agree with my methods, but they have always produced excellent results and engine/transmission longevity.

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/busting-engine-break-in-myth/

God Bless y’all and stay safe out there
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Good on you. Personally I just follow the guidelines and in over 50 years of riding have never had an issue with any of my engines.
mondeoman
Wales

Post by mondeoman »

Just give it the beans from the word go !  who is ever going to do all that ludicrous shenanigans.
Mondeoman
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

mondeoman wrote: Just give it the beans from the word go !  who is ever going to do all that ludicrous shenanigans.

Yep really difficult to keep below 5000 revs and don't labour the engine in any gear. Did my 600 miles in a few days and it wasn't hard at all. There must be a reason why BMW stipulate the running in process, but maybe they don't know what they are talking about
TexasCountry
United States of America

Post by TexasCountry »

BMW corporate plays it very safe, and are very overly cautious with their ‘how-to’ break-including  because they don’t want people to abuse the bike and come limping in for warranty service because they blew the motor or broke a shift dog.  [size=78%]That alone is the main reason for a slow and easy break-in.[/size]
[size=78%]
[/size]
[size=78%]Your choice.  It’s your money.  [/size]