Topcase lid removal for painting

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Hors Piste

Topcase lid removal for painting

Post by Hors Piste »

Apologies if there is a thread on this somewhere but my searching efforts have failed to find one.

Hoping to take delivery of my new 2021 RT in sexiest blue this week, so I will need to have the carbon black lid of the 49l Touring Topcase from my old(!) 2019 model re-painted.  I've manged to remove the lock and am hopeful that I will be able to re-key it when I get the key to the new bike, but I can't find instructions on how to remove the lid so I can take it to a paint shop.

Can anyone point me to the necessary info - it must be somewhere on t'internet !

(Oh, and if anyone can recommend a paint shop in South Wales where I could get this done I'd be grateful for that as well)
PeteM

Re: Topcase lid removal for painting

Post by PeteM »

Hors Piste wrote: Apologies if there is a thread on this somewhere but my searching efforts have failed to find one.

Hoping to take delivery of my new 2021 RT in sexiest blue this week, so I will need to have the carbon black lid of the 49l Touring Topcase from my old(!) 2019 model re-painted.  I've manged to remove the lock and am hopeful that I will be able to re-key it when I get the key to the new bike, but I can't find instructions on how to remove the lid so I can take it to a paint shop.

Can anyone point me to the necessary info - it must be somewhere on t'internet !

(Oh, and if anyone can recommend a paint shop in South Wales where I could get this done I'd be grateful for that as well)

I just got my dealer to switch the locks and paint the lid for me when I bought mine. Only charged £100 so was not worth me mucking about myself. Might be worth asking them.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Same as I did, but my paint job was obviously better as mine cost me £140 with a lock change  ;)
Hors Piste

Post by Hors Piste »

Thanks - I think I've figured out how to do the lock, it seems pretty simple.  But when negotiating the purchase the dealer just said "have it painted" - he did not offer their facilities  ::)

Did either of you use Cotswold or Lovetts by any chance?  Since the sad demise of Riders I'm stuck with M&P.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

No I used CW, but they have gone now. I am stuck with Bahnstormers. Although I have heard really good things about Cotswold, which for me is not much further than Banhnstormers, so might give them a go next time. CW just sent my box to the paint shop they used to use for touch ups.