Anyone improved on RTlc air filter yet?

Technical aspects and performance of the BMW R1200RT/1250 RT
RTeousJohn

Anyone improved on RTlc air filter yet?

Post by RTeousJohn »

When I ran an R1100s a huge improvement in torque was cheaply made by fitting a massive K&N air filter meant for a truck. 
I had already run the K&N sold for that model, and found the gain to be small.

Picture here of the 'Val Singleton' v standard K&N - that nearly filled the airbox on my S. 
My bike has only run 6,000 miles and is running better all the while, so I'm in no hurry.  Yet it looks like a similar arrangement on the LC bikes, of a large airbox volume taking air in through a shallow filter brick (FWIW looks like the item on the Rotax-engined F650/700/800 twins) [attach=1]

Has anyone trodden this path before me, and willing to share details? 
And if not, then I may look out for a S/h airbox to experiment with...
Attachments
1100s KandN comparison IMG_0566.JPG
R1250RT Red-Slate
RC51 Tofuman

Re: Anyone improved on RTlc air filter yet?

Post by RC51 Tofuman »

Your brave
I wouldn't dare mess with the air filter.

OEM replacement suits me best

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

RTeousJohn

Post by RTeousJohn »

Reckon I have found an easier answer, pattern filters by Sprint Filter, who supply polyester filter models for many BMWs including the Wet-Heads.

These long-life filters for road use do not use oil and are cleaned with low pressure air alone; they offer greater effectiveness than oiled cotton, yet still produce larger airflow than any other type.  I am going to have one fitted to my bike at its first major service, due at 12,000 miles.

UK distributor Performance Parts Ltd list the 'P08' item at £69 plus £5 post and packing - so around the same up-front cost as 3 original paper filters.

https://www.performanceparts-ltd.com/road/bmw/r-1250-rt-19/2019/categories/filters-and-fuelling/sprint-filter-p08-performance-replacement-air-filter/pm142s

[size=78%]Manufacturer website is at [/size] [size=78%]https://www.sprintfilter.net/motorcycle/products[/size]

R1250RT Red-Slate
TexasCountry
Bike Model and Year: 2021 R1250RT
United States of America

Post by TexasCountry »

Anything smaller than 80 microns gets past the Sprint filter.  I think I’ll stick with K&N’s oiled cloth which catches even the finest dust particles.