TFT and General stuff on the 21 R1250RT

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
keith1200r

Re: TFT and General stuff on the 21 R1250RT

Post by keith1200r »

The picture in the manual shows both when it isn't low on fuel. Mine is currently low on fuel but when I fill up I will experiment by removing the range from the mode display and see if it appears on the fuel guage.
Hors Piste

Post by Hors Piste »

Can anybody tell me how to change the voice which speaks the "Spoken Instructions"?  I don't really like this stern gentleman and really prefer a nice female voice, but I can't seem to find anywhere in the App to change it?
zunaidkajee

Post by zunaidkajee »

Hi Community from South Africa.

my first post. I traded my k1600b for the new R1250rt. I guess, just like a lot of folks, I am also finding my way with the new tech, especially the TFT and its features.

I need help with ALBUM ART. I am using spotify, but no album art appears on the TFT. Music, track info, etc is appearing. Not sure if this has been covered on another post, but I just joined.

please help.

thank you everyone very much and look forward to sharing both good and bad on the new 1250.

be safe

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

DavidMcK

Post by DavidMcK »

I have not been able to get album art to appear using Amazon Music or Samsung Music.  The artwork appears on the phone but not on the TFT, looks like its not working, you can use the App to log a support ticket and see what BMW say.
zunaidkajee

Post by zunaidkajee »

DavidMcK wrote: I have not been able to get album art to appear using Amazon Music or Samsung Music.  The artwork appears on the phone but not on the TFT, looks like its not working, you can use the App to log a support ticket and see what BMW say.
thank you sir.
will do...

Hors Piste

Post by Hors Piste »

OK I'm starting to get annoyed now.  In playing around trying to find a way to change the voice on the Connected app (BMW have not bothered to reply to my query so far)  I have discovered that when the phone re-connects to the bike after e.g. stopping for petrol I no longer receive voice directions from the system.  The only way I can get them back it would seem is by re-pairing everything, which is clearly not practical when out and about and is a right pita even at home.

I'm using an iPhone SE dedicated to the bike and a Sena SC1A comms system, which is built in to my helmet.  The Sena only appears to want to bluetooth pair to the bike in "mobile phone paring" mode, which I assume is OK because it does appear to work.  After a re-start both bluetooth and wifi will re-connect, as I have the maps. telephone etc - but no voice directions  >:D

Anyone else experiencing this?
zunaidkajee

Post by zunaidkajee »

I am also having issues with this whole connection app. I am also using an Sc1 advanced Bluetooth unit. Although I am getting maps and navigation loaded on every start up, I have not actually tried using navigation yet.

I am having endless issues trying to get my spotify music app to work flawlessly. I have to start spotify on my mobile first, and then only will it play in my helmet. When it's playing, the only control I have from the bike is to mute the song. I cannot pause, skip or control volume. I also have no album art appearing.
I have also send emails to BMW Motorrad, with no replies....sent 3 emails already.

if someone can please guide or help me, I will really, really appreciate it. [emoji120]

is there another music app I can try, as the "old" music player that used to come on the Samsung phone, no longer exists.

also has anyone tried to play radio with through their app, and if so, what app are you using, that works with this bmw connected app?

this is very frustrating.

thank you all in advance....

Hors Piste

Post by Hors Piste »

I thought I would try and resolve my problem by deleting everything and starting again.

So the only pair from the Sena is to the bike (this is not ideal but I thought it would remove any possible interference from other pairings)

Re-downloaded the app and re-connected it to the bike.

All appears fine - map appears on the screen, can take phone calls through the Sena.

But now I don't get any voice directions at all ! :(  (and yes, they are supposedly turned on).

What a pita.
Hors Piste

Post by Hors Piste »

This morning's progress bar....

I've managed to change the voice that the instructions are given in, although I would not say that it was intuitive....On iPhone go to Settings - Accessibility - Spoken Content (not something I've ever looked at as I have never needed these settings, fortunately)The default setting for this in the UK is "Daniel"I downloaded Serena from the choices available et voila! There she is giving me instructions!BUT - I still have the problem that if I turn the bike off and then back on again (waiting a minimum of 30 secs),map mode restarts but the spoken instructions are no longer given.  So pretty useless really.

Update -  to check if it was a Sena problem I paired the bike with a BMW "Fit for All" comms system.  Results are exactly the same - on initial start of route guidance I get voice directions.  If I turn the bike off and then on again the voice directions no longer work.
Last edited by Hors Piste on Sun May 16, 2021 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
60Aviator
Bike Model and Year: 2017 GSA & 2021 R1250RT
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 11 times
United States of America

Post by 60Aviator »

Hors Piste wrote: I thought I would try and resolve my problem by deleting everything and starting again.

So the only pair from the Sena is to the bike (this is not ideal but I thought it would remove any possible interference from other pairings)

Re-downloaded the app and re-connected it to the bike.

All appears fine - map appears on the screen, can take phone calls through the Sena.

But now I don't get any voice directions at all ! :(  (and yes, they are supposedly turned on).

What a pita.

I have the same problems too. Tried several different music players and radio apps with the same results. The only thing that works for me is after everything is connected I turn Bluetooth off on the phone then back on to reconnect to the bike. I start music on the phone and it now works with voice directions. I reported it to BMW via the app but they came back with the same crap of deleting pairings etc...
“I’d rather go down the river with seven studs than with a hundred poopheads” Charlie Beckwith
Hors Piste

Post by Hors Piste »

The plot thickens - with the bike phone connected by bluetooth only (i.e. connected app not started) I can play music from the phone to the Sena using the Media menu on the TFT.

At this point I can also get "arrow directions" with voice instructions via the Navigation menu.

If I now start the connected app and let it connect, the music keeps playing and I can get voice directions as well.

At this point I turn the bike off, wait 30 secs and turn it back on. Everything re-connects but now there is no music and no voice directions. I call the bike phone from my "normal" mobile - the call appears on the TFT and I can hear it ringing on the Sena. If I stop the call without answering it I now have music playing and voice directions.....It appears that somehow the incoming phone call has "kickstarted" the bluetooth audio connection between the bike phone and the bike.

Not a very practicable solution though......
Last edited by Hors Piste on Sun May 16, 2021 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hors Piste

Post by Hors Piste »

as this is "general stuff" not off topic -  I see on the "other" forum that North American RTs now come with Brembo front callipers as standard, due to the reported problems with leakage from some of the Hayes calipers.  Somewhat ironic that the US doesn't get the American brakes but we do....

I never had any leakage from my 2019 RT but I do find that the front brakes on both it and my new 2021 model are very "sharp" compared with the Brembo's I had on my 1200RS, which had a nice progressive feel to them.  As I've never ridden a Telelever bike with Brembo front brakes I've never been sure if this lack of "feel" has been down to the brakes or the suspension. 

Can anyone enlighten me?  Is it a case of "they all do that sir"?
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Hors Piste wrote: as this is "general stuff" not off topic -  I see on the "other" forum that North American RTs now come with Brembo front callipers as standard, due to the reported problems with leakage from some of the Hayes calipers.  Somewhat ironic that the US doesn't get the American brakes but we do....

I never had any leakage from my 2019 RT but I do find that the front brakes on both it and my new 2021 model are very "sharp" compared with the Brembo's I had on my 1200RS, which had a nice progressive feel to them.  As I've never ridden a Telelever bike with Brembo front brakes I've never been sure if this lack of "feel" has been down to the brakes or the suspension. 

Can anyone enlighten me?  Is it a case of "they all do that sir"?

Interesting that our US cousins now get Brembo brakes on the front. Think it is more to do with the way the US consumer law works. Think the Hayes calliper issues have been just about sorted. There are fewer reports on social media of drips and remember that there are only a small proportion of people who use social media.

Brake wise, I find the Hayes brakes more to my liking and think they have a better feel and are more progressive (as reported in a few test reports). I do not find them sharp at all, so maybe it is just a getting used to them thing. Although I was out on a K1600 GTL yesterday with my wife and in town, did one stop that had her helmet touch mine :) But think that was more due to me getting used to the weight of the bike and slow riding. They did grab a bit though at the last moment :)
Ledders12
Great Britain

Post by Ledders12 »

zunaidkajee wrote: I am also having issues with this whole connection app. I am also using an Sc1 advanced Bluetooth unit. Although I am getting maps and navigation loaded on every start up, I have not actually tried using navigation yet.

I am having endless issues trying to get my spotify music app to work flawlessly. I have to start spotify on my mobile first, and then only will it play in my helmet. When it's playing, the only control I have from the bike is to mute the song. I cannot pause, skip or control volume. I also have no album art appearing.
I have also send emails to BMW Motorrad, with no replies....sent 3 emails already.

if someone can please guide or help me, I will really, really appreciate it. Image

is there another music app I can try, as the "old" music player that used to come on the Samsung phone, no longer exists.

also has anyone tried to play radio with through their app, and if so, what app are you using, that works with this bmw connected app?

this is very frustrating.

thank you all in advance....

Once you start Spotify, open "Samsung Music" and start some music, then go back to Spotify and restart your music there, and you get full functionality (except volume).  Yes, I know, crazy!  But it works (mostly :-))  Oh, it's also worth trying pressing the No.1 function button, as even if not muted, it might be!  Don't you just love it?
DavidMcK

Post by DavidMcK »

So, I have spent a couple of very frustrating nights trying to get this thing to work, I have tried connecting the TFT to the Sena SRL as:

1. Phone 1
2. Phone 2
3 Sat Nav

]I have tried my personal phone( S10) as a media device e.g. MP3 player or iPod with the bike phone set to telephone only. Everything works until I switch on the bike.

I blew a gasket the other night when I ran the battery flat on the bike and I had to put it on the BMW charger. At first the charger didn't even register the bike i.e. start to charge it, but after about 30 minutes it started to work.

I am the first person in Northern Ireland to get a 21 RT, I picked it up the Monday after the launch and I believe the TFT had the factory software installed, I know there was a story about delivery of the bike being delayed due to a software update, but I don't think that happened to me. I think that is why my bike and phone worked until the bike got its first service and the TFT update.

Anyway, if you have problems with connectivity this might help you. Can I suggest that if this video displays your problem and what I have done fixes things for you, that you email them to BMW. [/font][/size]

It might help if we bomb them with proof of what is going on that they fix it sooner. I am 99% sure the issue is the TFT software and that involves a trip to a dealer.[/font][/size]

https://youtu.be/MP9wDsvNjB8
Last edited by DavidMcK on Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.