Electrical problem.

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
winglider

Electrical problem.

Post by winglider »

I have a 2015 registered R1200 RT LC LE
The problem I have is that the central locking has stopped working of the button on the handlebars. and also the alarm system is not working. it seems a coincident that they have both stopped.
I am wondering if a fuse has blown? but do Can-bus system bikes have a fuse box and if so where the hell is it.All suggestions welcome.(well clean useful ones)

Cheers Steve
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Electrical problem.

Post by David. »

winglider wrote:Fuse box and where the hell is it.
See pages 14 & 153 of this Rider's Manual, https://manuals.bmw-motorrad.com/manual ... 815_01.pdf
Last edited by David. on Sat May 01, 2021 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winglider

Post by winglider »

Thanks for the help, i have checked both fuses and they were both intact.Unfortunately neither my alarm or central locking are still not working.Any further suggestions :)
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Alarm system has a C123 battery, located aft of rear seat, not exactly sure what it does, (backup or primary) if it’s never been changed it may be time
I have a 15Rt and will be changing mine tomorrow if I can find it
Jim
winglider

Post by winglider »

Thanks I have a look , please let me know if you find it, in case I don't  :) )

Just been doing a bit of nosing about in a maintenance CD that i purchased for this bike when I purchased it.It shows the batteries in the alarm module that is under the rear rack under a small plate held in place by 4 small screws.But warns you that "Before removal, test the control unit with the BMW Motorrad diagnostic system and make a backup copy of data.
Remove Front SeatRemove Rear seat
Remove Rear RackRemove 2 batteries. 
Last edited by winglider on Tue May 04, 2021 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winglider

Post by winglider »

I have found out what the problem was. ^-^ A broken earth wire in the loom right where a cable tie had been pulled up to tight.I got a technician out to check out my Biketrac because I suddenly realized that that had stopped working as well.He found it with his probes and wizard bits of kit, brilliant bloke.Fixed the break and BINGO all three alarm, central locking & Biketrac all sparked beck to life.Apparently it's a common problem where people pull cable ties up to tight it can brake wires, worth remembering.