R1200rt "speakers off" how to turn on?

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
Kristian

R1200rt "speakers off" how to turn on?

Post by Kristian »

Hi all,
This is my first post. I am in Melbourne Australia and have a fully loaded 2014 r1200rt, with the navigator 6. When I go to turn the volume up to run the radio through the bike speakers the message on the dash comes up "speakers off".
The manual says it will do this with Bluetooth connected but as far as I am aware I don't have any connected. It does this with the navigator in or out.
Please help, how do I turn the speakers back on?

Thanks in advance,

Kristian
Paggers

Re: R1200rt "speakers off" how to turn on?

Post by Paggers »

On my 2016 LC it's a menu option, under the audio settings. You can turn the speakers on or off there.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Kristian

Post by Kristian »

ThAnks for your reply Paggers, it doesn't seem to be that easy on the 2014. In the audio menu there is only the tab to Bluetooth two helmets.

Regards,

Kristian
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Correct me if i'am wrong but speakers won't work with Bluetooth on (helmet)
Turn your helmet off and give it a try
Jim
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

The audio system manual (2013->) can be found via the following page.

http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/index.html?content=http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/services/manuals/manuals_main.html¬rack=1

I just took a look and read the following:

Call up the Settings menu and select Audio - Loudspeaker
The following settings are available:
- On: speakers on
- Off: speakers off
If the speakers are switched OFF the Bluetooth function is automatically switched ON, and vice versa.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
pwbike

Post by pwbike »

I've got the same bike, as delivered the speakers worked, radio and USB music played on the speakers.
Then I set up the Bluetooth intercom on my helmet to connect with the bike and Nav V.
Now I have no music or anything out of the speakers. It seems that once you've paired a Bluetooth headset or similar, the speakers are not usable.
Peter
pkpilot

Post by pkpilot »

pwbike wrote: I've got the same bike, as delivered the speakers worked, radio and USB music played on the speakers.
Then I set up the Bluetooth intercom on my helmet to connect with the bike and Nav V.
Now I have no music or anything out of the speakers. It seems that once you've paired a Bluetooth headset or similar, the speakers are not usable.
If the BT is on, the speakers are off.  If the BT is off, the speakers are available.  This is exactly as designed and described in the manual.  I would argue that it is a poor design, especially since you lose volume control with BT on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

pkpilot wrote: If the BT is on, the speakers are off.  If the BT is off, the speakers are available.  This is exactly as designed and described in the manual.  I would argue that it is a poor design, especially since you lose volume control with BT on.

I agree, especially about the lack of volume control on the wheel when using BT.
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

smileymiley wrote:
I agree, especially about the lack of volume control on the wheel when using BT.

I understand that the volume control on the wheel works only with BMW BT headsets. I presume you are using another brand......
John Bentall
pkpilot

Post by pkpilot »

beemerboy9 wrote:
I understand that the volume control on the wheel works only with BMW BT headsets. I presume you are using another brand......
Yep.  After paying so much money for the bike, I could not justify buying an expensive new helmet to replace one that I had recently  purchased.

I guess it all comes down to BMW being BMW (Bring More ....).

Kristian

Post by Kristian »

Hi Peter, checked with BMW dealer today and they ran vin to make sure I had all the software updates. Then suggested it may be locked up as I tried to connect iPhone without the BMW y cable. He suggested disconnecting the battery will reset the computer. I did this and then when turning the bike back on a new sub menu appeared under the audio menu. There I was able to turn on loudspeakers and now they work.

Hope this helps others.

Best regards,

Kristian
pwbike

Post by pwbike »

Kristian wrote: Hi Peter, checked with BMW dealer today and they ran vin to make sure I had all the software updates. Then suggested it may be locked up as I tried to connect iPhone without the BMW y cable. He suggested disconnecting the battery will reset the computer. I did this and then when turning the bike back on a new sub menu appeared under the audio menu. There I was able to turn on loudspeakers and now they work.
Interesting, I'll have another fiddle with mine when I remember.  Thanks.
Peter
The Vulcan

Post by The Vulcan »

Kristian wrote: Hi Peter, checked with BMW dealer today and they ran vin to make sure I had all the software updates. Then suggested it may be locked up as I tried to connect iPhone without the BMW y cable. He suggested disconnecting the battery will reset the computer. I did this and then when turning the bike back on a new sub menu appeared under the audio menu. There I was able to turn on loudspeakers and now they work.

Hope this helps others.

Best regards,

Kristian

Kristian

I have exact same issue with my 14 RTW

Did you just disconnect the negative terminal and leave it for a bit or did you completely remove the battery?

Friend of mine has suggested taking the battery out and clamping the positive and negative cables together for 5 minutes to completely reset. Did you go for that route?

Thanks all

Eric
IDisposable

Post by IDisposable »

Kristian wrote: The manual says it will do this with Bluetooth connected but as far as I am aware I don't have any connected. It does this with the navigator in or out.

If you're using the BMW Bluetooth, it turns off the speakers (and you also lose the volume control and S-Level feature).  You're MUCH better off just tapping into the rear-speaker plug and adding a Sena SM10 or Sena Freewire to send the audio to your speakers.