Phone Mounting - Power Options

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
rnelson955

Phone Mounting - Power Options

Post by rnelson955 »

Hi all,

Me again....thanks to all that helped out with my previous post on Phone mounting options. I ended up going with the solution in the attached pics.....making up that solution is a Quad Lock Handlebar mount, a Quad Lock vibration dampener (to prevent you destroying the camera image stabilization on your new phone), a Quad Lock wireless charging head and a mounting point from ebay.

I now need to get power to the mount in some way. It's a USB cable, and there's an SAE adaptor which would allow me to run it direct to the battery. However, I'd prefer a switched supply....so my question is this; where's the easiest area on the bike to get a sparky to tap into an existing, switched power cable with a USB cable? I'm assuming I'd need a 5v supply given that it's USB charging a phone?

Any ideas or pictures on what would be the easiest way to do this would really be appreciated! 

Thanks heaps,
Rick

Attachments
Phone Mount.JPG
20210525_143320.jpg
20210525_143403.jpg
Last edited by rnelson955 on Tue May 25, 2021 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Levisp

Re: Phone Mounting - Power Options

Post by Levisp »

The easiest way is to use a USB charger that simple plugs into the aux socket. You can route the wire neatly behind the side panel. Remember when the ignition is turned off the aux sockets become deactivated after I think 10 mins.

Checkout Nippy's collection of these chargers.

I use this one.

https://www.nippynormans.com/r1200gs-adv-mark-2-08-to-09/plug-in-usb-90-degree-socket-converter

This solution avoids all the headaches of tapping into a Can-Bus wiring loom.

I presume the Quadlock charger requires a 5v charger. You cannot connect directly to battery.
Last edited by Levisp on Tue May 25, 2021 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

The other option if you think you may need power to more aux items is to fit one of these.

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Wirin ... boxes.html

This gives you switched power and provides a completely separate circuit away from the bike's Can-Bus. You will still need a charger to convert the 12v supply to 5v.

I have the 4 circuit fitted to my bike. Used it to run power to my TomTom Rider 550. Was going to use the other circuits to power additional lights but never got round to it. The big advantage of Beaver Power fused circuits is that the wiring and fuse holders can fit under the seat of the RT where there is very little room. When I had my Pan I fitted a fuse box but there was room for that. The RT has very little space under the seat.

rnelson955

Post by rnelson955 »

Levisp wrote: The other option if you think you may need power to more aux items is to fit one of these.

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Wiring_Kits/Fuseboxes/fuseboxes.html

This gives you switched power and provides a completely separate circuit away from the bike's Can-Bus. You will still need a charger to convert the 12v supply to 5v.

I have the 4 circuit fitted to my bike. Used it to run power to my TomTom Rider 550. Was going to use the other circuits to power additional lights but never got round to it. The big advantage of Beaver Power fused circuits is that the wiring and fuse holders can fit under the seat of the RT where there is very little room. When I had my Pan I fitted a fuse box but there was room for that. The RT has very little space under the seat.

Thanks Levi.....this looks promising. Assume a decent auto electrician could wire this up?  I have a USB adaptor such as you mention in your earlier post, but I don't want to use that for a couple of reasons:

1. It looks messy sticking out of the fairing with a cable plugged into it permanently.
2. I'm unconvinced of the long term durability of this in all weather conditions.
3. I'd like to leave those connectors for other devices that would be used occasionally rather than something I'll be using every time I get on the bike.

Interestingly you can plug these straight into the battery....they provide a SAE to USB cable for that exact purpose. Maybe the charger is able to cope with the 12v feed?

Cheers,
Rick

rnelson955

Post by rnelson955 »

Ok...I have decided to run a USB charger from the battery up to the cockpit / just below the handlebar area.

Does anyone know how you would go about running a cable up that way via the existing wiring loom? Does the tank need to come off or just the fairing? Just curious how hard this might be or if I just get my dealership to do it for me.

Thank all,

Cheers,
Rick
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

I don't have a 1250 RT but I presume the panels are similar to my 2014 RT LC. The tank as such stays put. What you need to do is remove the panels. You might be able to get away with just taking off the front side panel the one with the BMW logo on it. Be very careful removing this panel. Undo the two torx screws found front inside edge. Then pull the panel to release the two spigots that locate in rubber washers, but don't pull the panel too much. Just pull the absolute minimum. Then slide the panel up and backwards. The panel has two plastic tabs that hold the back of the panel in place. If you pull the panel too much these two tabs can be snapped off. These two tabs hold the side panel and top panel (One with aux power socket right side) together. The top panel has slots and the side panel tabs locate in these. If you pull the side panel too much theses will break. Just be careful. I have had mine off numerous times without a problem.

I'm not sure if I have explained this very well but maybe try a google search for some photos.
DavidMcK

Post by DavidMcK »

That's a 21 RT you have a USB charging port in the right hand pocket why not run it to there?
rnelson955

Post by rnelson955 »

Levisp wrote: I don't have a 1250 RT but I presume the panels are similar to my 2014 RT LC. The tank as such stays put. What you need to do is remove the panels. You might be able to get away with just taking off the front side panel the one with the BMW logo on it. Be very careful removing this panel. Undo the two torx screws found front inside edge. Then pull the panel to release the two spigots that locate in rubber washers, but don't pull the panel too much. Just pull the absolute minimum. Then slide the panel up and backwards. The panel has two plastic tabs that hold the back of the panel in place. If you pull the panel too much these two tabs can be snapped off. These two tabs hold the side panel and top panel (One with aux power socket right side) together. The top panel has slots and the side panel tabs locate in these. If you pull the side panel too much theses will break. Just be careful. I have had mine off numerous times without a problem.

I'm not sure if I have explained this very well but maybe try a google search for some photos.

Thanks Levisp.....I'll give that a try. Here's hoping I can prevent my usual trick of understanding how the tabs work right after I've broken them.  :whistle:
rnelson955

Post by rnelson955 »

DavidMcK wrote: That's a 21 RT you have a USB charging port in the right hand pocket why not run it to there?

That's a good idea David...thanks!  Anyone know if there's a way to run a cable out of that little pocket without drilling a hole or affecting the waterproof nature of it?

Cheers,
Rick
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Another possible option if you have aux sockets on your bike is using a splitter.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254461593812 ... olid=10001

This avoids any permanent changes to bikes wiring.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

rnelson955 wrote:
That's a good idea David...thanks!  Anyone know if there's a way to run a cable out of that little pocket without drilling a hole or affecting the waterproof nature of it?

Cheers,
Rick

I have a USB powered DAB radio on my bike on my 2019 1250RT. I drilled a 16mm hole through the side of the fairing pocket and sealed it with a grommet.

I am not worried about water ingress through a hidden-away grommet that far above the ground.

Hope this helps....
John Bentall
rnelson955

Post by rnelson955 »

beemerboy9 wrote:
I have a USB powered DAB radio on my bike on my 2019 1250RT. I drilled a 16mm hole through the side of the fairing pocket and sealed it with a grommet.

I am not worried about water ingress through a hidden-away grommet that far above the ground.

Hope this helps....

Hey mate, did you need to remove the faring panels and/or pocket in order to drill into it?

DavidMcK

Post by DavidMcK »

I have thought about running a cable from the pocket as well.  I planned to cut a small nick out of the edge of the lid for the cable
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

rnelson955 wrote:
Hey mate, did you need to remove the faring panels and/or pocket in order to drill into it?
Remove right hand fairing panel (which is how I know just well-hidden the hole is). One drills into the pocket right next to the central locking mechanism for the flip-up cover.
If you drill a slightly larger hole it makes the USB plug easier to get through the grommet!
John Bentall
OFadom

Post by OFadom »

Hi everyone, just joined the forum.

Putting aside the question how to run wires/power a USB receptible, does anyone has a suggestion of an appropriate USB receptible that can easily be mounted to either the odd shaped RT handle bars (mine is 2018 RT) or say a good place in the cockpit?  In my mind most if not all USB receptibles are meant for attaching to round shaped handle bars, something our RTs do not have.

Any ideas/photos? will certainly appreciate!

Thanks!