Radiator guards - RT LC

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 238 times
Isle of Wight

Radiator guards - RT LC

Post by Steve398 »

Anyone fitted them? Or more to the point has anyone ever had radiator damage and wished they had fitted them....
Last edited by Steve398 on Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
bighopper

Re: Radiator guards - RT LC

Post by bighopper »

In Canada, I had a very small rock puncture 1 of the vertical tubes. Had it fixed locally at a Radiator shop for $80cdn. After that I made my own guards from stainless wire sheet I picked up at the local metal shop. Taped the edges with aluminum tape & then put them in behind the plastic grill in front of the radiator.
Been good for the past 2.5 yrs.{EDIT} I also find they do a great job of stopping bugs getting into the fins of the Rads ( I live were the summer is BUGS).
Last edited by bighopper on Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

One of the guys I was with had a small leak caused by a stone in the south of France, he bought something like this https://amazon.co.uk/dp/B004OS8N1W from the French Halfords then got in properly repaired 1500 miles later in the UK, personally I've never bothered with a guard on any of my bikes and would probably never both having seen a couple of people have over heating problems with them fitted
speedy

Post by speedy »

I think their need is dependent on the location of the radiators on the bike.  If debris can be picked up and shot toward the radiator by the front tire, I do a guard.  Otherwise, I don't.

On my XR, the radiator (and oil cooler) is down low and directly behind the front wheel, so going without a guard is a risky decision.  On my FZ, the radiator is behind the front wheel, but up much higher than the XR, so I did not do a guard.
2018 R1200RT / 2018 S1000XR / 2015 FZ-09 - Search all motorcycle forums at one time - www.MotorcycleForumSearch.com
Steve398
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

Thanks for your response.

I bought a set of the R&G rad guards on the basis that they’re not ridiculously pricey, weigh nothing and may save me grief one day. I’ve always held a view with motorbikes of ‘What can go wrong will go wrong, at the worse possible time’.

...and now having come to fit them I find that at some time in the past one of the radiators has already had a stone strike, not to the point of a leak but enough to bend the fins.
Last edited by Steve398 on Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
wbunning

Post by wbunning »

Steve398 wrote: Thanks for your response.

I bought a set of the R&G rad guards on the basis that they’re not ridiculously pricey, weigh nothing and may save me grief one day. I’ve always held a view with motorbikes of ‘What can go wrong will go wrong, at the worse possible time’.

...and now having come to fit them I find that at some time in the past one of the radiators has already had a stone strike, not to the point of a leak but enough to bend the fins.
I have a 2020 RT. Do you reckon the R&G guards will fit this bike? I've been looking for a suitable set to attach.  Thanks -walt
Steve398
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

I would think so, but suggest a quick check with R&G, or perhaps BMW to confirm that the part numbers of the radiators are the same? For what they cost and the time involved, for me, was a no-brainer and one thing less to worry about. There has also been no sign of overheating at all.

wbunning

Post by wbunning »

Steve398 wrote: I would think so, but suggest a quick check with R&G, or perhaps BMW to confirm that the part numbers of the radiators are the same?
Good idea to check part numbers. So the guards fasten directly to the radiator? If part numbers are the same, it should work. I looked at R&G’s website, and they only show compatibility up to 2019. I’ll give them a call.

Thanks, Steve.
-walt