TFT and General stuff on the 21 R1250RT

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
paynes1
Bike Model and Year: 2022 R1250RT
Great Britain

Re: TFT and General stuff on the 21 R1250RT

Post by paynes1 »

David,As an aside to the comment I made on the other forum, I have had the same issues before and after my first service on 5 May.  I was told that there was not a TFT update and my Android is only at version 8?
Does this help or hinder your theory?

Was your service/update after 5 May?
Steve P
DavidMcK

Post by DavidMcK »

Steve attached is a photo of the original software on the TFT (and the latest).  This worked for me apart from some flaky map connections.  All changed after my service on the 28th April and I got the new TFT software.

Attachments
Screenshot 2021-06-10 103201.jpg
20210603_135450.jpg
Last edited by DavidMcK on Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
paynes1
Bike Model and Year: 2022 R1250RT
Great Britain

Post by paynes1 »

DavidMcK wrote: Steve attached is a photo of the original software on the TFT (and the latest).  This worked for me apart from some flaky map connections.  All changed after my service on the 28th April and I got the new TFT software.
David,As I thought , my bike came with the latest version - so I have had these issues from day one  :( Email number 6 sent to BMW Connected with more points (including to Markus).

Steve P
zunaidkajee

Post by zunaidkajee »

paynes1 wrote: David,As I thought , my bike came with the latest version - so I have had these issues from day one  :( Email number 6 sent to BMW Connected with more points (including to Markus).

Steve P
Hi Steve, with an Android phone (s10), I have never had the nav loose connection, but had issues with media (spotify)....no album art, no control via wonder wheel, etc. I am now going to try the iPhone 12pro, with ios 14.6 / or even 15.
I believe ios made updates to Bluetooth on those software versions.
I believe you also using android, so your nav should at least work flawlessly.
Hope you sort it out bud.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Hors Piste

Post by Hors Piste »

If you watch David's video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP9wDsvNjB8 you will see that the nav does not work flawlessly with an Android phone.  It has the same problem as iOS - voice directions no longer work after switching off the bike.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I would personally like to thank all the BMW 21 R1250RT Beta testers for your dedication  8)
Hors Piste

Post by Hors Piste »

Having sold my Nav 6 in the erroneous belief that I would no longer need it and having bought a dedicated phone because my existing phone did not fit in the charging cubby I would be happier if BMW thanked and compensated me for my beta testing of their product  :shirty:
wethead

Post by wethead »

Casbar wrote: I would personally like to thank all the BMW 21 R1250RT Beta testers for your dedication  8)

That's funny ridether' I don't care who you are.... and true
If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.
DavidMcK

Post by DavidMcK »

I sent the video I made to BMW and received the following reply on Friday.  The key stuff is in bold, but I have acknowledgement of a problem, a promise that some of it is fixed and a date for an update to their progress with helping us.

[size=15px]Jann Kirchhoff (BMW Motorrad Connected)[/size][/font]
[size=13px]11.06.2021, 16:20 OESZ[/size][/font]
Dear David,I just came back from a session with our developers. We carefully analysed your video. Dev teams will now do some testing in order to reconstruct the issues you mentioned. Some of them are already known and cured in development.I kindly ask you for your patience until mid of next week - I'm convinced that until then we can come back with some more information.Thank you for your understanding. Have a great weekend.Regards,Jann
wethead

Post by wethead »

DavidMcK wrote: I sent the video I made to BMW and received the following reply on Friday.  The key stuff is in bold, but I have acknowledgement of a problem, a promise that some of it is fixed and a date for an update to their progress with helping us.

Jann Kirchhoff (BMW Motorrad Connected)[/size][/font]
11.06.2021, 16:20 OESZ[/size][/font]
Dear David,I just came back from a session with our developers. We carefully analysed your video. Dev teams will now do some testing in order to reconstruct the issues you mentioned. Some of them are already known and cured in development.I kindly ask you for your patience until mid of next week - I'm convinced that until then we can come back with some more information.Thank you for your understanding. Have a great weekend.Regards,Jann

You are the Man DavidMcK!! keep us posted. I sent your vid to them also. Hopefully Mother Beemer will come up with the fixes
If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.
AndyL434

Post by AndyL434 »

Hi sums up perfectly the problems I am having with my connections although in addition I rarely get a reliable connection between the app and tft resulting in a sat nav that is constantly dropping in and out which is very distracting. I have sent several emails to bmw via the connected app and apart from one response requesting the details of the software version I am running I have yet to receive a response which I feel is pretty poor. I bought a touring bike for touring but I cannot rely on the sat nav in its current state so as it stands the bike is not fit for purpose. This is my first bmw and everything considered including the poor customer service could well be my last.
scunny12
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 1200RT LE 2015
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 31 times
Great Britain

Post by scunny12 »

Reading between the lines about the 1250, I see no great incentive to trade up from my 1200LE.  Apart from the improved engine/gearbox and better led headlight, there is little else to tempt me yet. Perhaps I should just wait for the BMW 1250E all electric that will be put upon us in the near future no doubt. ;)
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

scunny12 wrote: Reading between the lines about the 1250, I see no great incentive to trade up from my 1200LE.  Apart from the improved engine/gearbox and better led headlight, there is little else to tempt me yet. Perhaps I should just wait for the BMW 1250E all electric that will be put upon us in the near future no doubt. ;)

There is never really an incentive to change, any RT is a good choice. So it is normally a purchase from the heart rather than the head. I went through the same thinking when I traded my 2014 for the 1250. The 1200 was fine, did everything I wanted. I am happy with the 1250, whenever you trade, it will be out of date within a short while. The next iteration apparently is going to be a 1350, it will come to the GS first though. I did flutter with changing to the 21 model and I'm sure the connection glitches will get sorted. The thing for me, is I'm not sold on the TFT and especially reading reports of GS having them stolen. Think I'll stick with the Nav VI for a while :)

wethead

Post by wethead »

I got an intuition that even if they fix the TFT, that I am gonna slap a ZumoXT on the handlebar. I already got one of them handlebar extension thingies...I like the versatility of taking the Garmin into the motel and putting all my way point for the subsequent day on the road...On the other hand, one can do that with the TFT by entering the addresses on the phone...so its a toss-up. We 'll see when they fix that TFT how well will it work.
DavidMcK

Post by DavidMcK »

Thread on latest update from BMW regarding the TFT.

https://www.bmwlt.com/threads/the-tft-o ... st-1968263