Warranty conditions

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Gavj
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2020
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Warranty conditions

Post by Gavj »

Hi all, getting near to my 6K miles service on my 2020 RT. I have had a check around the bike and all is ok, all I have had to do to it is a new rear tyre, brakes etc all look fine. I have serviced my own bike for the last 40 yrs so no issue with doing this one myself, apart from not having any diagnostic tools for BMW's.
So if I change the oil & fiter myself how does that sit with the warranty?
PeteM

Re: Warranty conditions

Post by PeteM »

Gavj wrote: Hi all, getting near to my 6K miles service on my 2020 RT. I have had a check around the bike and all is ok, all I have had to do to it is a new rear tyre, brakes etc all look fine. I have serviced my own bike for the last 40 yrs so no issue with doing this one myself, apart from not having any diagnostic tools for BMW's.
So if I change the oil & fiter myself how does that sit with the warranty?

The only way to know is to read the warranty terms and conditions, but on past experience they normally stipulate that any work must be done by a competent garage that is VAT registered.
emlevy
Bike Model and Year: 2015 R1200RT
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by emlevy »

No issue if you live in the U.S. I can’t speak to other countries.
2015 R1200RT | 2012 R1200R Classic
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

emlevy wrote: No issue if you live in the U.S. I can’t speak to other countries.

You are lucky in the U.S. Here in the UK the deal is that BMW will only except warranty claims if the bike has a FSH by BMW or a VAT registered mechanic using BMW parts. I took the gamble and did my own servicing. However during the warranty period I kept full records including photos of my servicing making sure all parts and fluids were as BMW specified. Also to make the service as complete as possible got BMW to plug the bike into their system and check for faults and do any software updates. Kept that paperwork as well ready to do battle !! I had no issues so got away with it. Some will say that I have devalued the bike by not having s FSH by dealer. I don't care as I intend to keep the bike for at least 10 years and by then it won't matter.

If the bike is on PCP I think you don't have an option but have it serviced by BMW.

David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

New Bike Warranty, https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/content/ ... 924116.pdf

These warranty terms are applicable providing your vehicle has been serviced in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommended schedules and timescales. Proof of adequate servicing will be required in the event of a warranty claim. This should contain the details of work carried out, the specification of the lubricants and parts used, the type of service carried out and the vehicle’s mileage.

If servicing has been carried out by a non-BMW Authorised Retailer then the Retailer reserves the right to reject any claim where it is felt that the cause of the defect is due to the use of a non-genuine BMW part or inadequate servicing or repair by the non-approved Retailer.
Gavj wrote:So if I change the oil & filter myself how does that sit with the warranty?
IMO, change the oil & filter yourself at your own risk!

Here's an example, after 6 months & 10K miles, my 2007 Hexhead partially seized on both cylinders.
The warranty claim was upheld, I wonder what would have happened if I'd done my own oil & filter change!
Last edited by David. on Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Anyone know why the US have different rules to UK. Seems that we get a raw deal.
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

Levisp wrote: Anyone know why the US have different rules to UK. Seems that we get a raw deal.

Different legal system. You are not allowed to apply the restrictions we have in Europe in the US
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

PeteM wrote:
Different legal system. You are not allowed to apply the restrictions we have in Europe in the US

Cheers.
Gavj
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2020
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by Gavj »

Thanks all, much as I expected, looks like BMW for this service anyway, wil move to doing myself when warranty is about to expire.
60Aviator
Bike Model and Year: 2017 GSA & 2021 R1250RT
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 11 times
United States of America

Post by 60Aviator »

Our US Congress actually did something good about this long ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson% ... rranty_Act
“I’d rather go down the river with seven studs than with a hundred poopheads” Charlie Beckwith
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

The rules got changed in the whole of the EU a while ago so that any competent garage can do the work, prior to that you had to use a franchised dealer. Even though we have left the EU those rules still apply. So even though not as good as your rules it is still a lot better than it was.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

PeteM wrote: The rules got changed in the whole of the EU a while ago so that any competent garage can do the work, prior to that you had to use a franchised dealer. Even though we have left the EU those rules still apply. So even though not as good as your rules it is still a lot better than it was.

The rules did get changed, but if you google it you will see it is only for cars not motorcycles. But most dealers seem ok as long as you can produce evidence that the service was completed by a VAT registers mechanic. But if they were being picky they could enforce the dealer servicing only rule to keep your warranty. No garage other than a dealer can carry out any warranty work, so if something was found on a service at an independent, the bike would have to be transported to a dealer for investigation
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Independents can register/create an account with BMW on their Aftersales Online System, https://aos.bmwgroup.com/web/oss/start

Once they have done that, they can login to record the work they have done on to the BMW system.

I wonder how many VAT registered Independents are aware of this system. It could certainly help to enhance their business.
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

David. wrote: Independents can register/create an account with BMW on their Aftersales Online System, https://aos.bmwgroup.com/web/oss/start

Once they have done that, they can login to record the work they have done on to the BMW system.

I wonder how many VAT registered Independents are aware of this system. It could certainly help to enhance their business.

The guy that services my car does this, he only works on BMWs and new Minis