CRAP SERVICE

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
futterweasel

CRAP SERVICE

Post by futterweasel »

My mate took his GS to LIND Norwich for a service last week he collected the bike and the next day at home found that the sump guard bolts had not been tightened all bolts finger loose and one missing. dealer response (I DON'T KNOW HOW THAT HAPPEND) I do its called incompetence What would have happened if it came of had him off or hit someone else? I wonder if they tightened the sump plug or put any oil in, shower of shit. >:(
Old-Git

Re: CRAP SERVICE

Post by Old-Git »

Years ago I bought a 10 year old Pan Euro from a fella in Norfolk, FSH from Lind. On the ride home it nearly overheated as the rad switch was u/s, then it started running like a bag of shite, carbs off and clean them out, turns out the petrol filter - which was by then a nice brown mud colour - hadn't been changed since new....
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Well nothing new with poor maintenance work. The technicians are under time pressure and only do the minimum. One reason I learnt to work on my bike myself. The only time my bike had dealer servicing was the first one at 600 - 700 miles for warranty purposes. Even then when I did a final drive oil change myself they had overfilled it. FSH doesn't really mean very much. If you are lucky it's had an oil change.

A few years ago I bought a secondhand Pan1300 with FSH from a reputable dealer. It was 4 years old. When I got it home I did a full service and inspection. Brake and clutch fluids never been changed. Coolant was original. The only job that had been done was an oil change and they had overfilled that !!

In the past I have owner a FJR1300. On that bike the trailing link rear suspension roller bearings need greasing on the annual service. Never gets done by dealer because one is easy to get at but the other two require too much work to get access. These get covered in road shit if you ride in winter. Consequently if not look at eventually can rust and seize. Result a collapse suspension. FJR owners club always give warnings of this issue. Like the RT exhaust valve a known issue with crappy design.

Lesson with all of this is either do you own maintenance or find a reliable one man workshop who takes pride in doing a good job. Stay clear on big main dealers.
wethead

Post by wethead »

There are two feller who makes maintenance vids for Goldwing, and at least one that I know of that makes maintenance vids for C14/s

Is there any resource with videos for an R1250RT?
If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Yup fellow American Jim Bade check out his site. Good videos.

http://www.jimvonbaden.com