Howz about a 1250 thread

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
wethead

Howz about a 1250 thread

Post by wethead »

:)
Last edited by wethead on Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.
mondeoman
Wales

Re: Howz about a 1250 thread

Post by mondeoman »

Hear hear.
Mondeoman
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

When creating a "New Topic" (thread),  how about posting 1250 in the "Subject" (title),  then putting "1250" in the "Search" box will find all related threads.
Last edited by David. on Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

wethead wrote:I was just putting a conversation starter to see if anyone else would be interested in a dedicated 1250 thread.
Conversation started, let this be the thread.
STeinar

Post by STeinar »

Hello there
Well - I have been thinking about this, but are the differences between the models that big that it's needed?
I was more thinking about removing the 1200 from all main topics - to more include all models ??
But I hear you and we will see whats coming up here

Stay safe out there
STeinar

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

STeinar wrote:I was more thinking about removing the 1200 from all main topics - to more include all models ?
Good idea, there are also threads posted for 1100 & 1150 RT's, not forgetting the 80 & 100 RT's.

Model History, viewtopic.php?p=7275#p7275
Last edited by David. on Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

STeinar wrote: Well - I have been thinking about this, but are the differences between the models that big that it's needed?

I would say no. There is (IMO) more difference between a wethead and an LC and between an LC and a 1250 so you would just be putting in arbitrary divisions. We should just accept the forum is an R%RT forum and if someone wants a thread to be about a specific version it is up to them to use an appropriate title.
Iscadean

Post by Iscadean »

Isn’t this idea called discrimination? Separate everything into tidy little boxes? It’s a boxer. All boxers should be on the same forum sub-group. Boxer issues, from mechanics, to riding, to farkling, have a uniqueness about them. Why does one group appear to not be interested in other similar groups?
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

From what I can see, this forum was created in 2014, possibly to coincide with the launch of the 1200 Wethead. Since then, in 2019 the 1250 Shifthead has come along. The forum title was changed to include both models. The forum has become inclusive for all RT models. A Google search for an RT Forum puts this one at the top of the listings.
DavidMcK

Post by DavidMcK »

The R1200RT has evolved to the R1250RT and there are mechanical differences between all the RT models.  IMHO that's evolution, perhaps in a few years it will be a R1300RT or the R ALLELECTRIC RT.

The single biggest difference between the R21RT and other models has been the TFT and connectivity/navigation issues associated with that.  That bit it unique to the 21 model and as I know its been a minefield to get things working and its still work in progress.

If you follow the evolution of the K16 and RT's BMW introduced the GPS into the cockpit and gave us some control over it with the wonderwheel.  It was recognised that these two models were touring models and GPS, plus music was an integral part of what we wanted.

Then they went a bit further, they threw away the dedicated GPS and brought navigation to a TFT screen using a phone.  That is simply mind boggling and today we still don't know if that is going to work e.g. what happens if you are in the South of France and your phone cooks in its pocket?  Or, you forget to hook it into its holder and when you open the pocket you could vacuum out the bits.  And all of that is provided we get things connected up and its working.

IMHO they should have developed a device, call it a NAV VII or TFT Nav.  It could be using the Android operating system and have a few Apps on it.  We upload our routes to it and plug it into the USB port in the phone pocket.  And it works when you buy the bike, it simply connects in and there are no updates to it (unless BMW need to update it).

If I had to vote on a new section in the Forum it would be for a the 21 TFT cause this is going to go on and on and on and on.

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

DavidMcK wrote:If I had to vote on a new section in the Forum it would be for a the 21 TFT cause this is going to go on and on and on and on.
This thread pretty much covers it, viewtopic.php?t=0
DavidMcK

Post by DavidMcK »

Yep and it has changed since I posted that, but that is buried under General Discussions  I think it needs its own section here, see screenshot.

Attachments
Screenshot 2021-06-23 113718.jpg
Screenshot 2021-06-23 113718.jpg
Last edited by DavidMcK on Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

DavidMcK wrote:It has changed since I posted that, but that is buried under General Discussions I think it needs its own section.
I put "TFT" in the search box and found all related threads.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

DavidMcK wrote: IMHO they should have developed a device, call it a NAV VII or TFT Nav.  It could be using the Android operating system and have a few Apps on it.  We upload our routes to it and plug it into the USB port in the phone pocket.  And it works when you buy the bike, it simply connects in and there are no updates to it (unless BMW need to update it).

On topic

Think it should stay as is. Too much in common with the earlier models.

Off topic
Don't think your idea of NAV VII with Android OS would work, too many of us have Apple devices. Personally they should have just put CarPlay and Android Auto Play into the bike. Have a direct connection and allow users to choose what apps to navigate by. Job done !
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

DavidMcK wrote: Yep and it has changed since I posted that, but that is buried under General Discussions  I think it needs its own section here, see screenshot.

I agree, as time moves on there'll be more and more posts about the 1250 and less and less on the 1200, keep things up to date.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)