Howz about a 1250 thread

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
michaelc2710
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 29 times
Great Britain

Re: Howz about a 1250 thread

Post by michaelc2710 »

If I had to look down at the Cam head dash, then I'd do less eye moments as well

No offence to Cam head owners
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

David. wrote: On a Camhead RT, the sat. nav. can be mounted centrally above the dashboard.
When used as a more accurate speedo than the analogue clocks, less eye movement is required to safely view it.

The fuel gauge, odometer and engine (oil) temp gauge can all be viewed on the dash at the same time.

And the clear winner is
[attachimg=1]
Plus you can flick through all the bikes data on the top line using the menu up button ie fuel, range, mpg, voltage, tyre pressure or whatever you choose in your favourites, you can also switch to view them on the nav issuing the wonder wheel if that's your thing.
Attachments
IMG_20210624_180401.jpg
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 334 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I thought the idea of the TFT screen was that you didn't need a sat. nav.

Last edited by David. on Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simbo
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

David. wrote: I thought the idea of the TFT screen was that you didn't need a sat. nav.

On the GS the nav on the TFT SCREEN is only turn by turn directions via the BMW Connect app on the phone (which is quite useful as it gives data like lean angle, G force, max speed and revs on each ride plus more) I'm presuming the RT has all that data and mapping rather than turn guidance built into the TFT
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

simbo
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Looks good! Can't wait to see one closer up.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Map view looks less than a sat. nav. in split screen mode, perhaps this is why some folks have both.

Last edited by David. on Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michaelc2710
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 29 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

simbo wrote: Looks good! Can't wait to see one closer up.

Well you only have to wait until Saturday,
wethead

Post by wethead »

DavidMcK wrote: I am getting sucked into commenting again about the TFT, I will have to be stronger.

Has anyone ever had a motor vehicle of any type where the fuel gauge, odometer and engine temp gauge is not shown on the dash?

No and you probable never will either.
Last edited by wethead on Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.
wethead

Post by wethead »

To me, the left side of this 'view' is worthless as it does not show clearly your entrance paths when you are entering an exit (the way the Garmin does) It is somewhat shown on the 'directions' (right side of this view) but I sort of got used to the lane-directions shown on the Garmin. I suppose that is just a matter of getting used to the different mode.

David. wrote: Image
If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

That split view looks much better than the first. A clear split between bike and navigation. You don't need a large map for accurate navigation just very big clear turn information and distance to turn. Something that most navigation apps fail to do. I would suggest riding a motorbike you cannot afford time to take your eyes off the road and others trying their best to kill you, to read a map or for that matter a complicated display.

If you could record a riders eye movements, it would be interesting to see how much time the rider spends eyes away from the road trying to read a complicated display instead of where they should be. This is something I'm quite passionate about having spent a career flying aircraft, where its critical to get the balance right between eyes inside / outside cockpit. IMHO think the new TFT looks a mess. GS looks much better.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Going to have to have a 1300 thread soon (well not that soon) UKGSER scoop shots of the new GS1300 being road tested :)
DavidMcK

Post by DavidMcK »

The map zooms in when lets say you are navigating a roundabout and you need that because the directions for say a roundabout is something like take the 3rd exit.  There is nothing in the directions panel to indicate which exit you need, you just get a graphic of a roundabout and a note of the exit.

That means you need to follow the map to see the exit you need.

Over here in the UK the 3rd exit could be left, straight on or right depending on how many exits you have.  In addition the lane indicators are poor, nothing like the Garmin which shows you exactly which lane you should be in when navigating a major junction.  I depended a lot on that when navigating through Paris a few years ago.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Will integrated motorcycle or car sat. nav's. ever be as good as or completely replace a dedicated GPS device.

I know someone with a Garmin Zumo 660 who prefers it to any in-car offering he has had.
Last edited by David. on Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

David. wrote: Will integrated motorcycle or car sat. nav's. ever be as good as or completely replace a dedicated GPS device.

I know someone with a Garmin Zumo 660 who prefers it to any in-car offering he has had.

That depends David on the execution of the design. We had a Mini Countryman with an integrated SatNav. Hated it ! Why ? Because you could only enter destinations from being inside the car. No way of planning a route. Also updates were expensive and difficult to do. With a separate device you can program in your arm chair worked much better for me. I think it all depends on what you want from a SatNav. I would say most people just want a point and shoot device. They don't care how they get there. Now that's fair enough and sometimes in a city where I just want the same but with traffic routing then I will use Waze App on my phone. However as motorcyclist we want the ability to plan routes. Now this with many navigation apps is an alien idea to the programmers. As for Garmin and TomTom I think it's very much an after thought. With both these devices if you want to plan you need to use planning software on a computer and then send it to the device. Garmin have Basecamp, TomTom have MyDrive and a popular independent is MyRouteWeb App. There are plenty of others including good old Google. However most of us do not carry a computer with us when out and about. So I'm in a cafe and want to plan a route home. I don't want to just put in home and let it plan, I want to plan a route. Not very easy with either Garmin or TomTom. Now we all have smart phones so possible the holy grail of planning a route and riding it is using a phone app. Most phone apps are crap at this including Google. The best for planning by far is Scenic. But we now have another issue. Do we want our very expensive phone attached to a bike. First there is the vibration issue with the delicate stabilisation sensors. Sorted use a vibration damping mount. Then possible water or debris damage and worst of all someone trying to knock you off to nick it. So what's the answer. Well I want an easy way to plan a route on my phone and send it to a device which will navigate the route. For me that's Beeline Moto. The most straight forward way to plan and ride that I have used. Surprisingly it works. However for most it's not enough to just have directions. Most want maps, speed info, safety cameras, POIs, corner info, angle of lean, G force, top speed , average speed, distance to go, eta, and not to forget time. All of this is actually irrelevant to which exit you take at the next roundabout. Having said all of that if this is want the majority want then fine by me. So I think to accommodate this the way forward is to have an app on your phone to plan and then a fool proof way to send this to your TFT display to navigate. Plan in arm chair, send to bike and ride. BMW are on the right track but they are not there yet. It seems too complicated and not robust enough.

Think this thread has been well and truly hijacked.
Last edited by Levisp on Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.