General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: Howz about a 1250 thread

Post by David. »

My route planning is all done at home with BaseCamp, then transferred to my Garmin Zumo 660 and off I go.

Recently when out, wanted to create an ad hoc route home on the hoof. Using a paper road atlas, with known start & finish points, built up a custom route on the device by adding key place names I wanted to go through, worked a treat.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Thats fine as far as it goes but you had a paper map to help. Also you created the route using place names. What I want is just to bend a route using waypoints. No can do. Take Google maps on your computer. Create a route by adding a destination. Want to change the way is goes. Easy. Click on route and drag. Very quick and easy. The only problem with Google is getting the route into your Garmin. If its Google web page map you can copy hyperlink and paste into Maps to GPX web app to create a GPX file. If it's MyMaps Google save as KMZ or KML file then convert to GPX. Then the faff with Basecamp to import file and finally send to device. But all this is not at the road side planning. Just out of interest download the Beeline Moto app, it's free. Try planning a route on that. I think you will find it's so easy and quick. Now I'm not promoting the device as for most it doesn't provide the information they want but more the way to plan and save a route in the Beeline Moto app. Now imagine if you could send that to the bikes full colour TFT screen for navigation without any hassle. Thats how it should be.
ipnman
Bike Model and Year: 2019 BMW R1250RT5
United States of America

Post by ipnman »

:)  Sounds like a good idea
Dennis Villarose MSTA STAR Coordinator ridemsta.com
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

Levisp wrote: What I want is just to bend a route using waypoints. No can do.

You can do that in base camp, or have I miss understood what you are trying to do?
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

PeteM wrote:
You can do that in base camp, or have I miss understood what you are trying to do?

No I meant on the device. Planning on either Garmin or TomTom devices is not very easy. Planning anything other than something very straight forward requires computer software.