Exhaust Flap Valve stuck at around 1000 miles - is this a record?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Exhaust Flap Valve stuck at around 1000 miles - is this a record?

Post by Casbar »

The 1250 that is getting the flap changed is a Blood Bike, so is in constant use. But sitting around and not being used could have an impact. Again on my 2014 before I sold it, the first flap seized within 2 years and the bike had covered 20k miles, the second replaced flap seized within 2 years of it being fitted, again after another 20k miles. The one I have just freed on another blood bike has 54k miles on it and again is in constant use.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

If you ride a bike with a stuck valve can you damage the servo motor driving it ?
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Levisp wrote: If you ride a bike with a stuck valve can you damage the servo motor driving it ?

Never heard of a servo being damaged with a stuck valve. In fact our blood bike is going in on the 1st of July and they have said it is ok to leave the bike on duty. The thing is, unless you have a 1250 which has an engine warning light, you probably don't even know the flap is stuck, because when you put the ignition on, you still hear the servo click. I think on my 2014 I rode around for a number of months with it stuck open and on the RTp I freed before Christmas it was stuck for over a year and the servo worked fine
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Cheers thanks.
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

Having read all the comments on this issue the only conclusion i can see is if you have an issue with this problem on your own machine and with no fault of yours it is costing you money then bye/bye BMW and buy another manufacturer.   
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Hammo I understand how you feel but who other than BMW make a traditional, full faired, with panniers, 2 up touring bike. FJR1300 but it's an ancient design. All the rest have gone. When I had my Pan1300 I was praying that Honda would update the bike but it seems that fashion dictates if you want to tour then you have to have an adventure style bike. That is of cause the problem. BMW don't have any competition. The other problem is that apart from the exhaust valve issue and clunky N - 1 gear change, its a bloody good bike.

As for the exhaust valve if it seizes and it cannot be freed then the low cost answer is to just leave it in the open position, disconnect the wiring from the servo motor and plug in a servo buddy or similar device. Problem solved.

Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Update on my exhaust valve. The high temp grease arrived yesterday. So examined the valve again. Released the cables. The butterfly valve was perfect, very easy to move. In fact it had loosened up some more since my last look. Anyway tried to push some of the grease into the spindle bearing top and bottom. Not very easy to do and not sure if I really succeeded. Anyway the issue seems to have been fixed for the time being. Time will tell.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

David. wrote:Cambridgeshire Police has noise testing equipment but are not targeting motorcycles.
You can always rely on North Yorkshire police to come up with the goods, https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/ ... d-drivers/
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

Like i stated in a previous thread on this issue , mine "stuck" at 3,500 mile the BMW dealer replaced it under warranty and the servo as well they stated it had burnt out , my dealer also stated that greasing it is a waste of time , there are many views on how to address this problem but it seems like a previous letter stated BMW are not concerned about it and are quite willing to repair it as it happens , the only other outlook is what about when your warranty runs out ? .
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

hammo wrote: Like i stated in a previous thread on this issue , mine "stuck" at 3,500 mile the BMW dealer replaced it under warranty and the servo as well they stated it had burnt out , my dealer also stated that greasing it is a waste of time , there are many views on how to address this problem but it seems like a previous letter stated BMW are not concerned about it and are quite willing to repair it as it happens , the only other outlook is what about when your warranty runs out ? .

When the warranty runs out, best to start saving up. Its not covered under the insured warranty.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

I think if you don't want it to fail then it needs looking at when servicing the bike at 6K. At the very least once a year. If you are the sort of rider who SORNs the bike over winter then before putting it to bed, I would check the valve for free movement and squirt some WD40 or penetrating oil at the top under the return spring. Take off the cables and work the valve. Make sure it will return with a snap on the return spring. Now I know none of this should have to be done on a premium bike but until its fixed you have two options, maintain it or dealer replace when seized. I suspect the new bike with seized valve was faulty from manufacturer.

Since I freed mine I have decided every month to take the exhaust link cover off and check that it moves with ignition on. At least that way I will know if it works. However the only way to see how free it is, is by taking the cables off, and then checking the free movement. PITA.

If you are not mechanically inclined you're buggered.
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

Casbar wrote:
When the warranty runs out, best to start saving up. Its not covered under the insured warranty.
Not necessary. Take the butterfly valve out and fit a Healtech servo eliminator.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

B787MECH wrote: Not necessary. Take the butterfly valve out and fit a Healtech servo eliminator.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes that will help, but if you read the whole thread, in the next year MOTs emissions are starting for motorcycles, which include noise, it is also now illegal (who cares) to take anything off the bike that pertains to emissions, which includes catalyst, flap etc, so when you toodle along for your MOT or have an accident and have the bike inspected, well come to your own conclusions, I bet the insurance companies and the MOT station won't mind at all. But I am with you, I would absolutely do what you suggested :)
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 194 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

Casbar wrote:
Yes that will help, but if you read the whole thread, in the next year MOTs emissions are starting for motorcycles, which include noise, it is also now illegal (who cares) to take anything off the bike that pertains to emissions, which includes catalyst, flap etc, so when you toodle along for your MOT or have an accident and have the bike inspected, well come to your own conclusions, I bet the insurance companies and the MOT station won't mind at all. But I am with you, I would absolutely do what you suggested :)

Noise is already a part of the mot,can you post a link to the new emission rules,much obliged.

In fact I have just re read the whole thread and the only person going on about emission testing is you.You've mentioned in on numerous occasions  but haven't backed it up.Now's the chance to educate us British riders with the government's new rules for next year.Thanks.
Last edited by burridge01 on Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

burridge01 wrote:Noise is already a part of the mot.
Agreed, https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspect ... aust-noise