Exhaust Flap Valve stuck at around 1000 miles - is this a record?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Exhaust Flap Valve stuck at around 1000 miles - is this a record?

Post by David. »

Noise is an emission, hence reducing the dB limit for Euro 5 compliance.
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

michaelc2710 wrote:
I don't need war and peace

Believe shorter and more enjoyable read than this thread. And before anybody comments about going off thread the title is about sticky flaps not Ackra cans. And before anybody says anything about sticky flaps I am referring to exhaust valve.
Last edited by BoB21 on Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
michaelc2710
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

David. wrote: Noise is an emission, hence reducing the dB limit for Euro 5 compliance.

Can you let me know what the Euro 5 compliance dB level is.

Bob21
Point noted  :)  Can I start an oil thread for a bit of excitement....
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Sorry, I can't find a definitive answer on what the Euro 5 compliant dB level is. It seems to vary depending on engine size and power to weight ratio.

What we do know is that BMW redesigned the 1250 exhaust system and Akra produced a new silencer to meet the Euro 5 type approval.
Last edited by David. on Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Phew, from Bennets site

[size=16px]Of those, several were clearly made with Euro 5 in mind. The R1250 models, for instance, with their ShiftCam engines, are clearly created to be Euro 5 compliant, as is the S1000RR, even if they’re still listed as Euro 4 bikes.[/size]
[size=16px]
[/size]

[size=16px]So as my 2019 was designed with EU5 in mind, its actually listed as EU4, so i can now sleep at night again and know my non EU5 end can will be ok. Glad I haven't traded for a 2021 model now :) Oh and to keep this thread on track, I was just talking to my dealer techs about my EU4 SOS button and they confirmed if I have a flap issue, they don't give a flying about my Akra end can and will replace the headers.[/size] ;)
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Been out today for a 100 mile bumble, stopped for lunch. No SOS warning, but - engine management light now on. Just going to whip the can off, but I would suspect flap stuck :) 6100 miles.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

New Headers fitted today at 6.5k, saves cleaning them. I only greased the flap a month ago with the high temp grease and sprayed the spring, that is obviously a waste of time . SOS warning is back, only intermittent now. They have raised a case with BMW  8)
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Doesn't inspire confidence. Quite frankly I hope the next generation of RT they drop the valve.
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

Some members are getting into a flap over this !!!!!!
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Levisp wrote: Doesn't inspire confidence. Quite frankly I hope the next generation of RT they drop the valve.

That will be when they are battery powered. Flap is here to stay apparently  8)  But maybe one that doesn't stick might be an improvement
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

Reading this thread has jinxed my bike. It's started making a loud "screeching" noise when the ignition is turned on. Sound is coming from where the exhaust flap is, only makes it when hot which seems strange. No warning lights on the dash.

I'll get it booked in to be looked at and wait to be told "they all do that sir".

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

MikeS wrote:Sound is coming from where the exhaust flap is, only makes it when hot which seems strange.
Could be the cable tension/free play needs adjusting.

On a Camhead, the servo "beeps" if the cable adjustment is out of range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kECJwihAW6w
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

MikeS wrote: Reading this thread has jinxed my bike. It's started making a loud "screeching" noise when the ignition is turned on. Sound is coming from where the exhaust flap is, only makes it when hot which seems strange. No warning lights on the dash.

I'll get it booked in to be looked at and wait to be told "they all do that sir".

There is no out of range beep on the LCs. If its squeaking then its starting to bind. I had one set of headers on my 2014 changed because my flap was squeaking, they tried the "its still working", but I countered with, is it supposed to make a noise? The problem you may encounter is, if the flap hasn't partially or fully stuck, there will be no error code and on the 1250 you will have an engine warning light. But as long as you have plenty of warranty left, even if they just lube it, it will probably fail at some point :)
RTs4me
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Post by RTs4me »

RTs4me wrote: Well, sadly, I can add my name to the 'early flap failure' club! :)

My October 2020 bike threw up a warning light on Monday. Fault code reading by my dealer, Vertu Sunderland (formerly Cooper BMW) confirmed flap failure. Irritating, but it's covered by warranty, so I'm glad that it won't cost me anything. 5400 miles on the bike now.

It's especially annoying because the flap was well lubricated from early in the bike's life. Since I was aware of the problems others have encountered, when I fitted my Akrapovic silencer ( ;) !) after about 4 days of ownership, I applied some copper exhaust lubricant to the flap spindle and the spring pulley. I removed the Akra after about 2 months and refitted the original silencer and lubricated everything again. I'm not sure if my lubrication was helpful (apparently not!) or whether failures are not necessarily related to absence/presence of lubricant.

Just to add an update to my earlier posting:
New headers fitted yesterday (9/8/21)  under warranty. The bike does seem to be a little quieter. I'm not going to lubricate the flap/spindle/pulley spring assembly this time round. Maybe 'baked-on' lubricant was ultimately not helpful? Maybe if lubrication is necessary, it would be specified as a service task? Who knows? However, I'll still lubricate the exhaust to silencer joint, just to aid silencer removal for tyre changes etc.

Watch this space! I've still got about 2 1/2 years warranty left if it all goes wrong!
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

Casbar wrote:
There is no out of range beep on the LCs. If its squeaking then its starting to bind. I had one set of headers on my 2014 changed because my flap was squeaking, they tried the "its still working", but I countered with, is it supposed to make a noise? The problem you may encounter is, if the flap hasn't partially or fully stuck, there will be no error code and on the 1250 you will have an engine warning light. But as long as you have plenty of warranty left, even if they just lube it, it will probably fail at some point :)
Flap lubricated last week by BMW, 200 miles into a trip to Snowdonia problem comes back.

Booked in next week for (hopefully) replacement.