New Member in Colorado

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Grumpy

New Member in Colorado

Post by Grumpy »

Hi All:
New member and BMW "virgin" here.  Somewhat of a spur-of-the-moment purchase of a 2012 R1200RT finds me on a steep learning curve about BMW.  I currently also own a 2017 Versys 1000 and am a past owner of a Honda ST1300.
I've got a LOT of questions, but foremost are 1. where can I find a shop manual?  2. Where are the best (least expensive) places to buy parts?  Just looking for oil filters and air filters has proven to be a challenge.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Never engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man.
David and Sally
Bike Model and Year: 2020 R1250RT LE
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Re: New Member in Colorado

Post by David and Sally »

Welcome from another newbie.
emlevy
Bike Model and Year: 2015 R1200RT
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by emlevy »

Welcome from another Colorado RT owner. For parts, I patronize the two dealers in the Denver area, but I also buy stuff online from Revzilla, Bob’s, and Morton’s. Unless one of them is having a sale, all of the prices on OE parts are about the same. I avoid aftermarket stuff whenever possible.
2015 R1200RT | 2012 R1200R Classic
wbunning

Post by wbunning »

Hi, from another Western USA rider (California). Nice choice on the new bike. Aling with other sources mentioned above, I also use Sierra BMW out of Sparks, Mevada.

I manage to hit a rally or two in Colorado now and then. I’m looking at going to the Thunder Mtn. Rendezvous in Hotchkiss this September. I went a couple years ago. Have you Ever been to that one? Small, with some nice local riding.

Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

emlevy wrote: Welcome from another Colorado RT owner. For parts, I patronize the two dealers in the Denver area, but I also buy stuff online from Revzilla, Bob’s, and Morton’s. Unless one of them is having a sale, all of the prices on OE parts are about the same. I avoid aftermarket stuff whenever possible.
Thanks for the info and the welcome!
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

wbunning wrote: Hi, from another Western USA rider (California). Nice choice on the new bike. Aling with other sources mentioned above, I also use Sierra BMW out of Sparks, Mevada.

I manage to hit a rally or two in Colorado now and then. I’m looking at going to the Thunder Mtn. Rendezvous in Hotchkiss this September. I went a couple years ago. Have you Ever been to that one? Small, with some nice local riding.

Thanks for the welcome.  I don't usually go to rallys so not familiar with Thunder Mtn Rendezous.  I'll check out Sierra BMW.
emlevy
Bike Model and Year: 2015 R1200RT
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by emlevy »

In addition to the Thunder Mtn Rendezvous, there’s also the annual Top of the Rockies BMW rally in Paonia, CO (this year’s rally is next weekend) and the annual 100,000’ Ride which starts in Denver each August. Both events are organized by the BMW Motorcycle Club of Colorado and usually sell out.
2015 R1200RT | 2012 R1200R Classic