sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 457 times
Been liked: 402 times
Great Britain

Under seat storage

Post by sakm »

I discovered today that the under seat storage is none existent on the RT!

On the FJR I managed to get in a decent tool kit, stop and go puncture repair kit, Small air compressor and a tyre pressure gauge.

I am struggling with the tyre pressure gauge on the RT  :))

I have seen one of these which would help to a degree https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132722445029 ... hAQAvD_BwE

But its too small for the compressor

Anyone got any solutions?

Yes I know I have a top box and panniers but they don't always go out with me
Levisp

Re: Under seat storage

Post by Levisp »

Only have panniers on if going on a tour. Don't have top box think they are ugly and too big. Having said that I see why folks love them. My solution is the BMW soft tail bag that sets on the rack. Its lighter and more discrete than a top box but big enough to carry all I need for day trips. Very easy to take on and off as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z-Yj9WjQ7c

Mine is a Softbag 3 Small similar to the one in video but two tone grey as opposed to silver. Not sure they do it now looks like they have changed the design. Did a quick Google for pic and couldn't find the one I have. They do one similar in but in black.
Last edited by Levisp on Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sakm
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

When I go touring all the luggage goes with me but a lot of the time we will be leaving the panniers and other times I won't have anything with me not even a tail pack
RTs4me
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Post by RTs4me »

If your bike doesn't have the audio option fitted, there is some useful space behind the dashboard speaker grilles.

I have an Airman compressor in one side and a basic toolkit and a few spare bulbs etc in the other. Everything is in heavy-duty ziploc bags. The torx driver under the seat can be used to remove the speaker covers.

My 'Stop and Go' tyre plug kit lives in the seat tail compartment, but there's not much room for anything else  :)
sakm
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

RTs4me wrote: If your bike doesn't have the audio option fitted, there is some useful space behind the dashboard speaker grilles.

I have an Airman compressor in one side and a basic toolkit and a few spare bulbs etc in the other. Everything is in heavy-duty ziploc bags. The torx driver under the seat can be used to remove the speaker covers.

My 'Stop and Go' tyre plug kit lives in the seat tail compartment, but there's not much room for anything else  :)

Err yeah I have audio  :)) 

This isn't looking good for me is it
wbunning

Post by wbunning »

I recently added an SW-Motech Pro City tank bag to my 2020 1250. It perches on a ring around the fuel fill lid. Fitment is excellent. Easy on/off. There is plenty of room for pump, water, glasses, whatever. It is likely the best tank bag I’ve ever used.
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

I've got one of these and it works well for me. It has puncture repair kit which includes gas cartridges so not so much need of a compressor. Also has some extra tools, helmet padlock and a few other bits. You will need to seal the bolt holes you have to drill to mount some how otherwise it is likely to get very wet inside, I used silicon sealer.

Other than that everything I need with me all the time either fits in the glove compartment or a very small tank bag.
Hors Piste

Post by Hors Piste »

I made that mistake when I bought my 2019 RT.  I didn't particularly want the radio but thought that the extra cubby on the RHS would be useful.  Little did I realise that whatever space there might have been under the seat was filled by the radio unit - I had, in my naivety, through that would be under the buttons on the LHS.

So no radio on my 2021 thanks very much, even if they were actually available...I've gone down the small SW Motech tank bag route as well.  10% off if you order from the link on ManCave's You Tube review.
sakm
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Well I found a place for my stop & go!

just enough space under the seat for it to sit in so I tie wrapped it to the seat with re usable tie wraps

Attachments
20210626_201215.jpg
zzwenn

Post by zzwenn »

Just thinking out loud here:
can you get water tight bags and tie them to the frame with velcro?

e.g. https://www.thenorthface.co.uk/shop/en- ... small-astp
has a lot of fastenings through which one could feed velcro strips
sakm
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

zzwenn wrote: Just thinking out loud here:
can you get water tight bags and tie them to the frame with velcro?

e.g. https://www.thenorthface.co.uk/shop/en-gb/tnf-gb/base-camp-wash-bag-small-astp
has a lot of fastenings through which one could feed velcro strips

I just don't know where in the frame you would attach it though
speedy

Post by speedy »

Please let us know if you find a hidden space for everything/anything.  Amazing that on a bike this big, there is very little room to stash small items. 

My XR has a fair amount of room under the seat.  I have my air compressor, tire kit, some tools, etc there no problem.
2018 R1200RT / 2018 S1000XR / 2015 FZ-09 - Search all motorcycle forums at one time - www.MotorcycleForumSearch.com
sakm
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

speedy wrote: Please let us know if you find a hidden space for everything/anything.  Amazing that on a bike this big, there is very little room to stash small items. 

My XR has a fair amount of room under the seat.  I have my air compressor, tire kit, some tools, etc there no problem.

Been looking at this for far too long and the answer is nope! can't find any room at all  >:(