Engine bars

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Kim_Y
Bike Model and Year: R1200rt 2016
Been liked: 7 times
United States of America

Re: Engine Bars - Guards

Post by Kim_Y »

Not having to remove the engine guards for servicing the bike is a big plus!! I have the Ilium bars on my 2016RT, they're very well made with an exact fit, no struggling to install them. They'll also will fit with the BMW engine guard covers. I've had the bike tip over once and the combination of the engine & saddle guards really worked as advertised by Ilium!!
Attachments
Right Profile_01.jpg
Engine Guard W_Lights_01.jpg
Left Side Of Bike Profile_01.jpg
-Kim Y.
wethead

Re: Engine bars

Post by wethead »

sakm wrote: I have been looking about for some engine bars for my 2016 RT

I have seen the ilium bars and like the way they sit as they leave the casings free for maintenance plus I have genuine head covers and was planning on leaving these on

The trouble is they are twice as much as others  :-X 

Does anyone know of any other bars that will fit with the head covers fitted?

The great thing about the Illium Bars IMHO, is that they DO NOT bolt to an engine bolt, thus you don't have to undo an engine bolt to install them. They bolt to the same threads as the driving light brackets and some threads already in the front/lower engine cast.
If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 436 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

wethead wrote:
The great thing about the Illium Bars IMHO, is that they DO NOT bolt to an engine bolt, thus you don't have to undo an engine bolt to install them. They bolt to the same threads as the driving light brackets and some threads already in the front/lower engine cast.

I really do like the ilium bars but as I say the price puts me off!
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 218 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

I agree but I don't plan on buying more than one set for the life of the bike, and it'll probably work out cheaper than a 'drop' repair.

The other things in my 'If I won lots of money I would like' list is front/rear Wilbers suspension, but that costs lots more than the crash bars!
donmarco

Post by donmarco »

I bit the bullet and went with Ilium.  Excellent product and they work.  Actually used the bars to tie down the RT to a bulkhead on the SS Badger traversing Lake Michigan in really bad weather.  Bars took a few new nicks, but the RT was fine.  Also had a spill in some grungy soft dirt/stone mixture.  Not a scratch on the RT.  Awaiting a 2021 RT with a set of Ilium bars in the box ready to be installed.