Clutch master cylinder failure

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Palegs

Clutch master cylinder failure

Post by Palegs »

I have a 2010 R1200RT with 53k km on the odo. On my last trip my clutch started to fail. When I pull the handle to the bar and keep it there for 5-10 seconds, the clutch will start to engage again. No problem under normal gear shifts, only when i keep the clutch handle against the bar. There are no leaks from the slave cylinder, and the reservoir is full. I am suspecting bad seals in the master piston. I have tried to search for clutch information but it seems hard to find. Service an repair manuals I have read are not comprehensive on the subject. I think that you could get a master cylinder replace kit on earlier RT models, but not for the 2010?
Is the master cylinder Brembo or Magura? I believe Mag, but not certain. My reservoir is of the wobbly, transparent, plastic type. What is the diameter of the master cylinder? I believe 13mm, same as the R12000GS from the same production period?
There is a youtube video showing how to replace seals on a R1200GS, with seals from a 13mm replacement piston from a KTM (magura). You keep the original piston an just swap the seals. Anybody tried this with a 2010 RT?
Any help on the subject is appreciated!
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Re: Clutch master cylinder failure

Post by Our Gee »

If you look at the Maintenance section you will find that there is quite a lot of info pertaining to your query.

"Clutch Master Cylinder Re- Build" and "Clutch Slave Cylinder"

I myself have recently carried out a Master Cylinder "Seal" change using the info from these posts.
Last edited by Our Gee on Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Re: Clutch master cylinder failure

Post by Our Gee »

Come on then, Palegs a response would be nice.