new lock for topbox

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
sasman

new lock for topbox

Post by sasman »

hello, new to this site, looking for a bit of help.
ive got a 49ltr topbox that i cant use because sold my old rt and bought 1250. kept the topbox but like a numpty cannot use the topbox as new key doesnt fit.
ive seen on youtube people taking the old barrel out and installing a new one but...i cannot get the old barrel out for love nor money. any tips or tricks..or know anybody who can replace this for me?? live in stourbridge west mids. thanks in anticipation.
Sullivj
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Re: new lock for topbox

Post by Sullivj »

Your BMW bike dealer will be able to do it for you, or there's Youtube tutorials that will show you how.

Once you have the lock removed, you can change the individual wafers to match your new key. 
sasman

Post by sasman »

that was my thoughts to be honest, havent enquired if they will do it but will probably be cheaper to buy a new box knowing bmw service prices!!
Hors Piste

Post by Hors Piste »

I kept my old topbox when I changed from a 2019 to a 2021.  Following the Youtube vids it is actually quite easy to take out the lock - I used a straightened paper clip to depress the final lock "plate" - the one that holds the lock in the barrel.

I made sure that I removed the lock before I parted with the old key - although I'm not sure if that is necessary.  I had the lid painted to match the new racing blue - finding the right paint was more hassle than changing the lock.

The only slight problem I had was that the old lock did not contain one of the "plates" required for the new key - I had to order a plate set at about £20.  But you may be lucky and not need that.
Last edited by Hors Piste on Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Hors Piste wrote:I had to order a plate set at about £20.
Does the plate set come with a new lock/barrel. How many of each numbered 1, 2 & 3 plates and springs are provided.
Last edited by David. on Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hors Piste

Post by Hors Piste »

This is what I bought https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop ... A_35_50_BN

Yes it does come with a barrel and 4x each plate
sasman

Post by sasman »

just contacted motorrad wolverhampton, quoted £150! bmw for ya!
michaelc2710
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 29 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

I ordered a barrel coded to my bike for my top box from BMW, it only cost about £25. Watch the videos on YouTube for changing the barrel, it's very easy but fiddley. I used an unwound paper clip to press the release pin.
wits
Bike Model and Year: RT 2018
Has liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by wits »

sasman wrote: just contacted motorrad wolverhampton, quoted £150! bmw for ya!
Depending on the top box... If its the latest type with high level brake light and lock in the centre of the box then look at the end of this you tube video..

Worth watch whole video on replacement barrels but removal on this type of box starts at 17.00 minutes

1.2 or 1.5 mm long reach allen key will do the trick.
https://youtu.be/mygeTPWUhqY

Sasman if you get into trouble with the box I am only the other end of the rabbit run in Telford :)

Jamie
Last edited by wits on Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RT1200 LC 2018, Guzzi Breva 1100 2005 ...Now sold....
david357

Post by david357 »

You will only be able to remove the lock if it is in the locked position, it won't come out if it is unlocked.

I have just changed my lock using the tool made from a hacksaw blade shown in the youtube video, url is www.gwynfryn.co.uk/pdfs/re-keying-49l.pdf

Hope that helps.