Back from nearly 3 weeks in the Picos

Going on a touring trip? please tell us all about it. Or do you have questions on touring feel free to ask away.
Easyrider5258
Been liked: 3 times

Back from nearly 3 weeks in the Picos

Post by Easyrider5258 »

Been back a few days now and am currently in quarantine which ends on the 7th October, so have been editing the 1000 photos i took during the trip (Link below for Album)

I have never been to the Picos before and trip planning started end of last year, I'm a photographer (Aviation) but want to explore landscape / street so the focus of the trip was to enjoy the area and take plenty of photos!

Original plan was 1 week in Hotel Del Oso near Potes on the Fuente De road and then move for another week in the Pyrenees and finally 3 nights in Bilbao before the ferry home

Brittany ferries were offering a deal ant the beginning of the year for a week Half Board at the Hotel Del Oso  including return ferry crossing for about £1100 which when working out alternatives seemed a deal to me, Hotel Del Oso is excellent, could not fault my stay, the room, the staff, the food, all top class, so much so I cancelled the Pyrenees part of the the trip and booked another week at the Hotel Del Oso, there was so much to see around the Picos that a week was not long enough

The bike performed great on the trip which was about 1500 miles in total, did use half a sight glass of oil though

Roads were almost empty of GB bikes but plenty of other nationalities, advantage was I seemed to have the roads to myself at times

Bilbaos's  old quarter was great as well,  Guggenheim museum amazing and some beaches and roads up on the coast near Sopela also brilliant

Weather the whole time was perfect

I'll let the pictures do the talking now Here's a link to the album, (I'm still adding to it)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/65081372@N04/albums/72157716008439876

Mark

Last edited by Easyrider5258 on Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
East Anglia (Fenland)
PeteM

Re: Back from nearly 3 weeks in the Picos

Post by PeteM »

We did a ride through the Picos a couple of years ago with Motorrad Tours, Great place with brilliant roads
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

Nice pics. Have you any routes you can share? Thanks
Easyrider5258

Post by Easyrider5258 »

Old-Git wrote: Nice pics. Have you any routes you can share? Thanks

I didn't create routes, I used waypoints on Nav 6 to create favorites of photo stops I wanted, the beach was at la franca near the very nice hotel Miriador
The surfing beach was at Sopela
The famous "Potes Triangle" is start at Potes, down to Riana, up to Cangas visit Covadonga if you want to bear in mind only mini coaches to take you to the lakes
Back along the AS 114 to Panes then back to Potes
Its about 150 miles all day and quite demanding but fantastic roads
East Anglia (Fenland)
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

thanks.
Tiedend
Has liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by Tiedend »

I’ve been to the Picos 5 times.

You absolutely cannot go wrong with the route Easyrider suggested.

It’s a circle & you can do it in either direction & you will not be disappointed.

You can also go up to Bulnes where there is a funicular railway. If you’re adventurous you can walk to Fuente de from the top.
Graham
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

Lovely photos.

Very jealous.

Mike
scunny12
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 1200RT LE 2015
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 31 times
Great Britain

Post by scunny12 »

Super photos. Looks an excellent region to tour.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Great photo's, glad you had a good time. I wish I'd been somewhere nice this year  ;)  be sure to do the Pyrenees though, just like the Picos but more of it.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Easyrider5258

Post by Easyrider5258 »

simbo wrote: Great photo's, glad you had a good time. I wish I'd been somewhere nice this year  ;)  be sure to do the Pyrenees though, just like the Picos but more of it.

Already done the Pyrenees and French Alps & Dolomites used to organise group tours for BMW club for many years, up to 60 bikes on some, doing D.Day / Normandy next year  as posted elsewhere on this board if anyone would like to join us (It's free and have about 10 booked in so far)
East Anglia (Fenland)
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Easyrider5258 wrote:
doing D.Day / Normandy next year  as posted elsewhere on this board if anyone would like to join us (It's free and have about 10 booked in so far)

Sounds great! well worth a visit & very humbling for sure...We did the Normandy landings back in 2013 & 14 and based ourselves in Honfleur, It's just a nice place to be  :)
[size=78%][attachurl=1][/size][size=78%][attachimg=1][/size][size=78%] [/size]
Attachments
15349581_420063911673989_3843749257123735603_n.jpg
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Wow.  Have been thru the French Pyrenees but was unaware of the Pico range.  I'd planned to buy an RT in France this summer, then visit Bilbao for a friend's birthday.  Hopefully, I'll do it next summer, then visit the Picos (thanks to you!).

Global Tourer

Post by Global Tourer »

Hi Mark,

Many thanks for sharing there are some terrific shots in the album.
Like others who have posted, the Picos is one of those bucket list items, (I liked it so much and it was so accessible that I have been five times now.)  Again, as said by others, it won't disappoint.

Must admit, I hadn't considered a longer stay in Bilbao, but will certainly make that a priority for the next trip as it seems well worth a couple of days. Also many thanks for the hotel recommendation, I'll check that out also.

Once again, many thanks for sharing your trip, much appreciated.
Global Tourer