Buying from the EU..?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Sullivj
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Buying from the EU..?

Post by Sullivj »

So, I want to invest in the Cardo Packtalk Bold Duo.

This seems to be the cheapest place I can find it, but I think I could have to pay import duty? Is that always the case, or might I get away with it? If I do have to pay it, any ideas how much it might be?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cardo-Packtalk-Bold-JBL-Duo-Bluetooth-Motorcycle-Bluetooth-Intercom-New-F-/393306219988?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0
keith1200r

Re: Buying from the EU..?

Post by keith1200r »

Yes, you could be charged duty, VAT and a handling fee. Sometimes things sneak under the radar but that is usually low priced items or items with misdeclared contents labels.
BoB21
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Wait till next year when over there?
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 194 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

100% you will be charged import duty along with a plethora of other charges from the carrier.
I found My Arrow system for the RT in Italy considerably cheaper than the UK.Ordered them up and 4 weeks later got a bill from FedEx for £237.21.They wanted payment before  delivery (that's a whole different  story)In the end it worked out roughly the same as the UK price and it was a lesson learned.

If I remember rightly there is no duty etc on items under £130 but remember to include the postage in the final price(obviously check yourself to be 100% sure)
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

I've just imported some stuff from Germany and had to pay:
  • 20% VAT
  • 2.6% Customs Duty
  • Collection Charge £12 for the Post Office
Fortunately for me the seller agreed to refund the charges so no cost to me, although it took over a week from paying the charges to it updating on the Post Office system so they could deliver it.

The government website for imports is actually pretty good for understanding what is involved: https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad
Sullivj
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Thanks for all your advice guys. I think BOB21 has nailed it.

I will see if I can purchase it when I’m in Europe and bring it back myself.
BoB21
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Awww thanks. I will have a word with cussies on return. :whistle:
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

One word of warning. There is only one importer in the UK who looks after warranty. If you have an issue with a unit not purchased in the UK, the UK support will not help, they will only put you in touch with the US or European distributor. There have been a few who have had problems and been stuck. Have a search on UKGSER there is a chap at the moment who has a faulty Packtalk Bold and he purchased from a non UK distributor, the UK guys will not replace and can only offer advice. Personally I would swallow the difference in price and buy from a recognised UK distributor. But if its a significant saving, then might be worth the risk. I have had an original Packtalk for 6 or 7 years and had no issues, but the previous Cardo G9 I had was faulty and was replaced no questions by the UK shop I bought it from, others haven't been so lucky.