Fork Seals

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Levisp

Fork Seals

Post by Levisp »

Does anyone know if you put the fork seals in the wrong way round is it obvious, will it leak like mad.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Fork Seals

Post by David. »

From videos I've viewed and manual read, the fork seals are directional and need to be installed the correct way up.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Yes David I was aware of that. Seals have to go in the correct way. I have just replaced both seals and one is now good but the other is still weeping slightly. Now I was careful how I put the seals in but the correct orientation is not that obvious. So either I have put the seal in incorrectly or the seal is faulty. So if it's in the wrong way would the seal leak really badly or just a weep. I'm just trying to diagnose the problem. In the end it doesn't really matter because I'm going to have do the job again to fix the problem. Ironically the one that's now weeping is on the fork that was fine. Maybe I should have left well alone but if you replace one side then why not do both especially as I took the forks out to thoroughly inspect and change the fork oil.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Is it possible that some damage has occurred to the fork tube/seal during re-assembly.

The Haynes manual for a Camhead says, "Take care not to scratch the fork tube - make sure that the fork tube is pushed fully into the slider so that any accidental scratching is confined to the area above the oil seal."
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Simple answer no. The forks were taken out and the work done at a bench. The chrome inner tubes were cleaned and inspected and were in perfect condition. On assembly the seals and inner tube were lubed with fork oil and very carefully put back together with the air bleed screw removed so the two components can slide easily. Its weeping a very small amount so there cannot be much wrong but it should be dry. It could be the assembly fluid that's weeping past the dust seal but I think that's wishful thinking. However after this mornings ride I did think the weep was less. I suspect I will have to redo the job.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Well rode over to Lind in Norwich and bought another seal set cost £30. Unfortunately they only sell complete sets you cannot buy just the seal. Yes I could have gone eBay but decided I wanted to stick to the OEM part. So back to garage to take the fork out again. So what was causing the weep. Some how and I am really lost for words here because I was so careful, I had put the seal in the wrong way up !! What a twat. Anyway all back together now and a short test ride confirms problem fixed.

So to answer my original question, if you put the fork seal in upside down, it will weep only, not leak like mad and cost you another £30 to fix.

Pity it was going so well  :)