URGENT! I'm stuck on the loneliest road in America, Hwy. 50 in Nevada.

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Re: URGENT! I'm stuck on the loneliest road in America, Hwy. 50 in Nevada.

Post by jackronner »

I'll check when I speak to my dealer.  Good idea.  G'night, it's late even for this night owl.
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

David, Follows a question for the Bing guy (you already have the pics of their product) I've tried attaching the pic I'm referencing, but it keeps being rejected "The message body was left empty.  I'll try posting it separately.

[size=16px]The pic attached shows a large screw through the plastic bit at the 11 o'clock position near where the cable exits. Is that part (which seems to keep the pulley from rotating) already on the bike as a separate part from your pulley?  Can't tell from the picture.  I ask because I don't see that screw hole on your product, just the lower section which seats the cable. Also, from some other online pics it seems that the metal part that takes the spring and hits the adjustment mechanism is different on the left and right bodies, and yours seem identical on both sides. [/size]
[size=16px]
[/size]
[size=16px]To me, the upper part with the screw would seem to be of a piece with the lower.  Let me know.  Thanks[/size]
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

[attachimg=1]
Attachments
pulley.png
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

jackronner wrote:The pic attached shows a large screw through the plastic bit at the 11 o'clock position near where the cable exits. Is that part (which seems to keep the pulley from rotating) already on the bike as a separate part from your pulley?
Fast forward to 9:12 in this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysVctg-6iIU

It shows the throttle body shaft assembly and pulley being removed. The plastic bit behind is a separate part held with the large screw.
Last edited by David. on Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

jackronner wrote:Also, from some other online pics it seems that the metal part that takes the spring and hits the adjustment mechanism is different on the left and right bodies, and yours seem identical on both sides.

The Bing photo may not be very clear but when ordering, Right or Left have to be selected separately and added to cart.

https://bingcarburetor-com.checkout.wee ... ckout#cart

Perhaps it's clearer in the photo of the pulleys on shafts.

Last edited by David. on Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The throttle stops face inwards with the shaft and the spring attachment outwards away from the throttle body.

Not a very clear photo but this is the opposite side to the one above. (The pulley has broken off the shaft).

Last edited by David. on Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Well, it's all sorted, as you lot would say, and I got the bike back (washed!) a few hours ago, with the Bing Bits on and functioning.  At about a quarter of the price of the Beemer Bits aluminium version - which comes without the metal bits, and would've required drilling and metal dowels and more mechanic's time.  I'm going to order a spare pair for about $52  which I'll carry on the bike, but I figure these will suffice for another 50k miles. BTW, the only sell them as pictured, with the metal bits where the spring attaches, and apparently the mechanic had no trouble fitting it securely to the butterfly shaft (I hope).  Thanks one last time for your help in all this.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

jackronner wrote:They only sell them as pictured, with the metal bits where the spring attaches, and apparently the mechanic had no trouble fitting it securely to the butterfly shaft.

This photo shows (LHS) a cracked OEM pulley, the Bing replacement (RHS) pulley and shaft comes complete with a screw/washer.
It would appear that the OEM and Bing pulleys only are just a tight press fit onto the shaft. I wonder if the OEM shaft can be drilled/tapped to accept a securing screw and washer. Both available to order separately from Bing, https://bingcarburetor.com/store/p18/TY ... ULLEY.html
Last edited by David. on Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

David,  I requested an invoice from Bing, and the true total was only $77 for both pulleys and kits (my overnighting the delivery was $36 - more expensive than normal delivery)  I've finally heard back from my mechanic,  who said that the kits did not include the "securing screw" which was mentioned on the Bing site next to the photo,  but that he just press-fitted the pulleys on the shafts.  He did say that they were very tight and it was difficult to remove the OEM metal pulley bits, and also putting them back on. 

No screws/washers were provided to the mechanic as pictured in you last post (tho' I think they're a great idea, whether you have to tap the holed ends yourself or not).  The "Shaft screw" listed on the site were simply to re-attach the butterfly valve to the shaft.  No "Securing screws" were listed on my invoice. Of note:  the same pulleys Bing shows with the shafts already mounted do not list the securing screw as part of the kit, nor does the picture show a screw/washer installed.