Route Planning Software - what do you use?

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
tojjer
Great Britain

Re: Route Planning Software - what do you use?

Post by tojjer »

Old-Git wrote: Ok so I have a Nav6, and last year used Tyre on my PC, did all my route planning, exported in .gpx format, happy days. Tyre no longer uses google maps, shows straight lines to waypoints, and is no longer supported. Changed to myrouteapp.com sort of OK with it but it only shows road names not numbers, OK I can live with that, I have to use google maps in another  but when I export in .gpx format v1.1 (route, track, POI) Trip Planner finds it, as a route, then when you open it in route planner it shows straight lines...! I've solved that by importing using Tracks, then converting to Trip.All this makes it very long winded - anyone got any other suggestions? Basecamp seems to be over complicated, kerviger is clunky.... any others out there? Thanks

Tried Tourstart.org today to plan a route on the recommendation from Pete ( milleplod ). Fairly easy even when using for the first time. Transferred to the Nav VI no problem.
The real bonus was out on the ride. There was an accident so had to detour. None of this u turn malarky, no fuss, just recalculated and took me straight back to my planned route. I then purposely went wrong and it was faultless, rerouted back to the route. Obviously need to use more, but for the price, I will probably sign up. Give it a whirl with the 14 day free full working trial, I was very impressed.

www.tourstart.org
Rambler358
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Rambler358 »

tojjer wrote: The real bonus was out on the ride. There was an accident so had to detour. None of this u turn malarky, no fuss, just recalculated and took me straight back to my planned route. I then purposely went wrong and it was faultless, rerouted back to the route.
That’s a function of the Nav and not the route planning software.
tojjer
Great Britain

Post by tojjer »

Rambler358 wrote: That’s a function of the Nav and not the route planning software.

That's weird then, as I've not changed any of the settings on the Nav itself. Exactly the same as when I used MRA and BC, and they both rerouted me straight to the end point (via fastest/shortest route ) when I went wrong.
Tourstart doesn't confuse with waypoints, shaping points, gpx 1.1, gpx 1.0, doesn't alter the route when you transfer it to the device either. Didn't seem to yesterday anyways, need to play more with it  to test fully but well worth a go IMHO if you want to take all the hassle out of planning routes. Just another option, some find BC easy to learn, some prefer MRA, we're all human and all good and different things and all pick things up at different levels and speed. What is plain and simple to one is not so easy for others. 
I work for the NHS, everyone was told to "stay at home", quite a simple message yet some people just didn't get it !!  :-)
Last edited by tojjer on Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
scott_01_xr400

Post by scott_01_xr400 »

Has anybody tried the Calimoto app?
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 217 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

I still use TYRE as they have the use of Google maps back. Recent updates have improved the ease of use for their program.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

BaseCamp is still good for me.
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Thanks to Bob21, I'm now a Basecamp GURU.  That's not quite true, but I can plot a route, buy routes online and transfer them to my Nav 5.  [size=78%]I had to watch quite a few Youtube tutorials to get the hang of it, but now I know how it works, I'm getting more used to it.[/size]

Be prepared for a bit of perseverance to get the hang of it.  I nearly threw my laptop out the window a few times!

I would like it more if I could 'streetview' some of the places I'm trying to way point.  Maybe it's possible and I just don't know how yet!
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I don't think there is a street view option with Basecamp. When detail/accuracy is required, I use Google Maps street view and get the co-ordinates for the location. Then, using the co-ordinates, I create a waypoint in BC. Yes, it's a little time consuming but gets you to exactly where you need to be. The BC maps level of detail is not great and POI's are not always exactly where they are in real life.
jjwill
Bike Model and Year: RT 2018 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Wales

Post by jjwill »

Persevere with Basecamp.  I usually use Google maps to check the exact locations and then plot on Basecamp.  I struggled in the early days but thanks to YouTube there are lots of instruction videos.
7vwh
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2014
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

I use basecamp, it takes some learning but generally work ok. like others have said I use google maps to tie down specific locations before then plotting on BC. The annoying feature I have found is I can set a cracking route in BC on the computer, upload it to the Nav6 but upon opening I will recalculate and change! I’ve started moving the route in BC to set hidden waypoints which has improved the situation. On an aside I’m in Switzerland atm on a trip from the UK and so far the Nav6 has tried to take me into no entry streets, bus only lanes and pedestrian precincts. It got really confused when a section of motorway near chamonix was closed and we had to contraflow on the opposite carriageway, which is a totally different road. Don’t trust what she shows and asks lol 👍
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 433 times
Been liked: 388 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Some good info on here on how to use basecamp

https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12
DavidMcK

Post by DavidMcK »

For those guys using Basecamp, you may have a problem ahead that you should be aware of.  First of all I have used Mapsource and Basecamp for the last 15 years so have a considerable library of routes.

Last year I ordered a new R1250RT so I sold my BMW Nav Vi, in a way that was the beginning of the end since I knew I would no longer get map updates for Basecamp.

I moved over to MyRouteApp which is very good (IMHO) and a big upgrade on Basecamp, but I still had Basecamp on my computer to refer back to, so all well so far.

I then purchased a new laptop, I own a software Company so changing my laptop every couple of years is the norm.  Basecamp would not transfer to the new laptop.  I contacted Garmin and asked them and they said No, the maps on the new laptop would remain locked because I had no device to unlock them.  There is no option to purchase maps for a laptop to use Basecamp.

I have got around the problem, in that I found an unlock code in a Roaming Profile on my laptop and that unlocked the maps, however they are now in a stage called "Unauthenticated".  Essentially, I can see my routes but cannot re-calculate any route.  At least I can see them and export them for importing into MRA so I am lucky.
michaelc2710
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

I've just returned from a 14day trip around Spain on my new Rt, the routes from Tourstart.org transferred seamlessly to the TFT and everything worked perfectly, the routes also worked identically on a Nav 6 used on a GS.

Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Another vote for https://www.Tourstart.org.

Jan, the chap who will answer most queries, has even adapted it to work better with the new TFT app. 
Create on the ipad or PC, and download in chrome straight to the phone and the BMW app. 
all waypoints added.
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 217 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

Steve398 wrote: I still use TYRE as they have the use of Google maps back. Recent updates have improved the ease of use for their program.

That’ll teach me! The latest rafts of updates, seemingly one every time I use Tyre, has transpired to make it almost unusable in transferring routes to my TomTom Rider 550. I’ve sworn and sweated over Tyre for the past three weeks and finally gave up, I’ve paid for the upgrade to MRA, it works perfectly and the route is now stored on my Rider.
The program itself is simple, fast and intuitive, but I did have to gulp before I paid the £35!