Crank Oil Seal Leak

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Crank Oil Seal Leak

Post by Our Gee »

Hi all,
just back from a quick run down to Provence to collect some Christmas cheer !!. Managed 2200 miles in 7 days so that gave the bike a good workout. Now then, problem.
Whilst giving her a good clean yesterday I noticed oil at the lower edge of the front timing chain cover. I removed the black plastic belt cover and this has confirmed the leak. Oil can be seen where it has collected in the casting recess where the alternator belt pully locates. I was in my dealers this morning and described what I have found. They are 99% sure that the problem is a failing crankshaft front oil seal.
Looking at my Haynes Manual replacement looks pretty straight forward and could be a job for the winter period. However, both Haynes and advice and info from other forums advise not attempting replacement without using the dedicated BMW special tools.
I would be grateful to hear if anyone has experience of this job such as, is it possible to replace the seal without removing the front cover from the engine. The Haynes method is to remove the cover in order to drift out the old seal, replace the cover then fit the new seal which does seem a long winded way if it is indeed possible to remove the old deal with the cover in situ using "Seal Picks".
Any info / advice appreciated.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: Crank Oil Seal Leak

Post by David. »

Don't know if it's any help, but FYI, had the timing cover replaced on a 2012 RT at Cooper BMW Sunderland, they charged 1 hour labour, this included changing the oil & filter.

They also charged £31.86 for the sealing compound used between the timing cover & the engine.
Last edited by David. on Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

That's interesting David, I would have thought that the job would have taken a lot longer especially going by what the  Haynes method involves. But thanks for the info. At this stage I'm only collecting as much knowledge as possible. After my run down to York this morning I removed Alt. Belt cover again and there is definate signs of further leakage.
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

DaygloDavid wrote: Don't know if it's any help, but FYI, had the timing cover replaced on a 2012 RT at Cooper BMW Sunderland, they charged 1 hour labour, this included changing the oil & filter.

They also charged £31.86 for the sealing compound used between the timing cover & the engine.
Further info gained today so it does look like you are correct about the time the job takes. Had a quote over the phone from Rainbow, £14.50 for the seal and less than an hours labour (£67.50) So at £82.50 all in it's not worth attempting a DIY. Incidently the £31.86 Coopers charged for the sealant does seem well over the top.
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Our Gee wrote: Further info gained today so it does look like you are correct about the time the job takes. Had a quote over the phone from Rainbow, £14.50 for the seal and less than an hours labour (£67.50) So at £82.50 all in it's not worth attempting a DIY. Incidently the £31.86 Coopers charged for the sealant does seem well over the top.
Just to update this little thread a replacement seal has been fitted by my dealer with costs as follows. Labour £70, Front Crankshaft Seal £12.09. So then including the dreaded VAT that comes in a £98.50.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I take it that your dealer didn't charge for any sealing compound.
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

DaygloDavid wrote: I take it that your dealer didn't charge for any sealing compound.
Correct, fully itemised bill and no mention of Sealing Compound.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Looks like Cooper BMW Sunderland are on the make, charging for sealing compound.

They did a similar trick charging for a litre of oil to do a final drive oil change, when only 180ml is required.
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

DaygloDavid wrote: Looks like Cooper BMW Sunderland are on the make, charging for sealing compound.

Maybe they had to open a new tube drawn from the parts dept and you where the first customer to have a "squeeze" so you get clobbered. !!
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Our Gee wrote:I removed the black plastic belt cover and this has confirmed the leak. Oil can be seen where it has collected in the casting recess where the alternator belt pully locates.
Last edited by David. on Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.