New Member from Pacific NW

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Arnes RT

New Member from Pacific NW

Post by Arnes RT »

Hello, I just picked up a Dark Blue used 2013 RT a couple days ago and love it. Finding this active forum board that is specific to the beemer RT model was a very pleasant surprise!

I've owned a 2009' RT for a very short time in 2012/13 and loved it as well but had to part ways with it due to my bad right hip. Now that I've had my hip issue resolved/replaced, I can finally ride in total comfort once again on the king of bikes.

My plan is to read up on the tips and techniques to learn more about my bike, and if I discover/learn something helpful about this bike I will be sure to share it.

Thanks for having me here!!
Arne
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Re: New Member from Pacific NW

Post by jackronner »

Welcome on board.  Congrats on our new hip!  I envy you your upcoming discovery of this wonderful machine.  Perhaps a majority of the members here are British, so don't get worried when they discuss their gas mileage - they're talking the larger, imperial gallon (1.2 US gallons), so their mileage figures are inflated.  A lot of very experienced and helpful "Hero" members here.
scunny12
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 1200RT LE 2015
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 31 times
Great Britain

Post by scunny12 »

Welcome from across the pond. Jackronner is right, we do still deal in proper imperial mpg,  Us older guys never converted to litres and kilometres -we leave that to the kids and the guys and gals over the English Channel. ;D
Arnes RT

Post by Arnes RT »

Thank you sir. My previous RT was an awesome bike but only rode it for about 1000 miles due to severe pain from my hip while lowering my right leg from foot-peg to ground. I remember that bike as being the best riding bike I ever owned so decided on appreciating another one while I'm still able. I'm sure that I'll have a few questions now and then since I believe in doing my own required maintenance.

As far as complaints about gas prices.. I don't care where a person lives, the price per gallon or liter is now ridiculous. The dealership where I purchased my bike performed a Level 2 service and topped the tank before I left. Upon arriving home the estimated mpg was 46.1, so thought that was excellent for combined city & semi-rural 35 to 40 MPH roads.
Thanks again,
Arne
Last edited by Arnes RT on Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arnes RT

Post by Arnes RT »

scunny12 wrote: Welcome from across the pond. Jackronner is right, we do still deal in proper imperial mpg,  Us older guys never converted to litres and kilometres -we leave that to the kids and the guys and gals over the English Channel. ;D

LOL, thank you sir. I only understand foot and inch pounds on my torque wrench(s), the Nm is way too confusing. The Canadian border is just under 100 miles from me, and have ridden up there a few times. Converting kph to mph is easy using the 0.6 factor. Other than that I'm with you 100% about leaving liquid measurements to the young folk.

jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Somebody did a funny comparison between Celsius and Fahrenheit, saying the latter makes more sense in human terms.  Zero F - extremely cold;  32 F pretty cold;  100 F extremely hot.  Zero C pretty cold;  100 C - DEAD!
Arnes RT

Post by Arnes RT »

LOL, that's great I'll have to remember that one!!

redcomet
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT
Great Britain

Post by redcomet »

10 deg C = take off coat, 20 deg C = take off sweater, 30 deg C = rude!
Arnes RT

Post by Arnes RT »

redcomet wrote: 10 deg C = take off coat, 20 deg C = take off sweater, 30 deg C = rude!

Right on.  ;)

+35°C = Hot Air Drier in face HOT,, visor down and cover all exposed skin!![size=78%] [/size] 8)
(Personally experienced 100° F during a ride to Carlsbad Caverns, NM in ~2005)

jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

116 in Imperial Valley, CA.  Just shorts and sneakers.  Couldn't stand being in direct sun.  Put on T-shirt, shirt, sweat shirt, pants, sweat pants.  Folk thought I had heat stroke, but then doused myself from a hose.  Ahhhh.  Never travel in the southwest without a big water supply.  Air-cooled bike, water-cooled rider.
Arnes RT

Post by Arnes RT »

jackronner wrote: 116 in Imperial Valley, CA.  Just shorts and sneakers.  Couldn't stand being in direct sun.  Put on T-shirt, shirt, sweat shirt, pants, sweat pants.  Folk thought I had heat stroke, but then doused myself from a hose.  Ahhhh.  Never travel in the southwest without a big water supply.  Air-cooled bike, water-cooled rider.

It was actually about 95°F when we left Roswell, NM and was about 107°F when we reached Carlsbad. It was only about 200 miles, but at appx'ly every 50 miles we stopped at every gas station on the road for water. Drinking one 16-20oz. bottle and pouring another bottle on head & shirt, then covering with a thin jacket. Bone dry within 15 to 20 minutes.
116°F is insanely too hot to ride in!!!
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

To avoid lightheadedness, I also carry some potassium pills to replace electrolytes lost with the sweat.  On a previous trip to the 116 ride, at only 114 outisde of Vegas, I felt my GF sliding off and caught her.  Stopped at a cafe and made her swallow two teaspoons of table salt, chased by water, to get them back up.  Then I dressed her as described in my last post and soaked her (I could take 114, but NOT 116).  Belts and suspenders - I used a long bungie cord to bind us together in case she fainted again.  Another trick:  crushed ice from a soda machine in a baggie;  perforate it then place it on your head under the helmet for some lovely cool dribbles.

Arnes RT

Post by Arnes RT »

jackronner wrote: To avoid lightheadedness, I also carry some potassium pills to replace electrolytes lost with the sweat. 

I also recommend a cooling vest/mesh jacket along with a cooling neck tie.. just a short water soak and they do work well for a couple of hours. Oh, and I'd ask for a picture of your G/F if forum permitted. LOL
Now days for any riding at +90°F. I would simply locate a clean hotel with a good A/C.  ;) 
Yeah I know I've gotten old..

jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

[attachimg=1]

Arnes, Here's the "hot" girl herself, per yer request.  Loved the bike.
Attachments
ME AND CATHY.jpeg
Arnes RT

Post by Arnes RT »

It looks like you done good with her, congratulations! So either that picture was taken many years ago or you are a very young man? I'm old and my wife is also old; I've got no young G/F so I'm sorry I can't reciprocate with a pic.