Headlight Replacement

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
paulgelineau

Headlight Replacement

Post by paulgelineau »

While the lights on my 2015 R1200RT are  bright, the headlight doesn't last too long.  I'm tired of scraping my hands tryin to replace it.

Time for the LED conversion.

I'm looking for one that is a "plug & play" type so that I don't have to modify the rear cover to accommodate the new "bulb".

Suggestions??

Cheers,
P. Gelineau
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Re: Headlight Replacement

Post by jackronner »

I got a plug-and-play LED, and can't recommend the experience.  The first time on a dark, twisty road, on a cool night - and it stopped working.  That night I periodically tried it over the course of 40 miles, to no avail.  Since then, it will go out then function again within 10 mins, about.  I've even taken the cover off, and it still shuts down on a cool night.  Fit and connection are tight - I just think they won't work on an RT.  I, too, am tired of the blood, toil, tears and sweat (and time) to paraphrase Churchill.  The guy who designed it must've been a leftover from the Gestapo.
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

Every bike I have owned from this century the lights have been a chore to get to and change. Most needed to have the entire Tupperware removed and the headlight assembly unmounted.  I feel your pain.
I went the led light conversion on one (not a BMW} and while successful, I don't think I would do it again until the led bulb technologies improve. The LEDs definitely helped my daytime visibility, but even being meticulous about bulb orientation and length, the beam spread at night was not very good and certainly not an improvement over the OEM. The city light bulbs didn't last and I had to replace them after only a few months, so no help there.
I haven't had the pleasure of needing to replace the bulbs on my RT1200R yet, but it looks to be the standard PIA all the others have been.
My advice; research the bulbs carefully to find one that approximates the OEM bulbs as closely as possible. Otherwise beam pattern will be off with a "bloom" that may make night riding worse.  Also be aware that LEDs shed a lot of heat and getting sufficient airflow may compromise waterproofing. Not allowing for airflow will shorten the led lights life significantly. There may also be issues with the canbus since the LEDs draws less amperage.  I don't know about that one as I'm an idiot when it comes to electronics.
Good luck. I'll be interested to see if you find a good solution.
Never engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man.
Kim_Y
Bike Model and Year: R1200rt 2016
Been liked: 7 times
United States of America

Post by Kim_Y »

Hello Paul,

Just curious, how often are you needing to replace the bulbs? 
-Kim Y.