Flash to Pass

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
PGS

Flash to Pass

Post by PGS »

Has anyone installed a Flash to Pass transmitter on an RT? I am mostly interested in installation on a '21 R1250RT and whether it will work with the LED headlights, and if so where to find and tap the high-beam control wire. But to the extent the models are similar I'm interested in where you installed the transmitter. I have one of these on my K1600GTL and it's been great.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Flash to Pass

Post by David. »

PGS wrote:Where to find and tap the high-beam control wire.
This thread is about a 2016 R1200RT, BMW R1200RT / R1250RT forum - The BMW R1200RT/R1250RT forum it shows where the high beam wire is.

Don't know if it's the same on a 2021 R1250RT but may be of some assistance.
PGS

Post by PGS »

David. wrote: This thread [ . . . ] shows where the high beam wire is.
Thank you, David, your reply is much appreciated. I guess it's going to be hard to know how helpful this is unless/until I get a new RT and take it apart.
The information in the thread you linked is certainly relevant, but to clarify my original post for anyone who might not be familiar, the unit I want to install is the Flash2Pass.
AwesomeDad

Post by AwesomeDad »

Personally I just have an extra garage door opener clipped to my tank bag, 92 bucks plus the time to install isn’t worth it to me but to each their own…

JJ
PGS

Post by PGS »

AwesomeDad wrote: Personally I just have an extra garage door opener clipped to my tank bag, 92 bucks plus the time to install isn’t worth it to me but to each their own…
JJ
Yes, I agree - that will be the solution for now. But the Flash2Pass convenience is great and I'll be looking into it until I am sure either way about its feasibility on the RT.
THE_Beemrider

Post by THE_Beemrider »

I like this idea but wonder if you’ll run into an issue with the Canbus system on the bike like I did.

My last bike was the K1600GT and I wanted an active taillight that would flash upon deceleration. There’s a company in Europe (can’t remember the name right now) that makes them. Assured me that it would work with BMW. Said it met homologation rules (whatever they are). So I ordered one.

Didn’t want to screw around trying to install it myself so I took it to the dealership and had them install it.  The item worked exactly as it was supposed to … BUT … it caused the Canbus system to throw an error code every time it actuated.  It reset itself afterwards.

When the code happened, it lit up warning lights on the dashboard and worst of all sent an audible warning through the sound system.

This item might produce a similar effect. Apparently these Canbus systems are very sensitive to voltage fluctuations.
PGS

Post by PGS »

THE_Beemrider wrote: it caused the Canbus system to throw an error code every time it actuated.  It reset itself afterwards.

When the code happened, it lit up warning lights on the dashboard and worst of all sent an audible warning through the sound system.

This item might produce a similar effect. Apparently these Canbus systems are very sensitive to voltage fluctuations.

Interesting. Well, I installed the flash2pass on my previous bike, a K1600GTL, and it worked fine. I just wonder if the LED lights on the new RT will make a difference.
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

AwesomeDad wrote: Personally I just have an extra garage door opener clipped to my tank bag, 92 bucks plus the time to install isn’t worth it to me but to each their own…

JJ
$7.00 dollar marine grade push button from Amazon wired to my extra remote.  Installed on the left upper fairing with the opener velcroed under the fairing.  This is the third bike I did this with and it works great and is inexpensive and has the advantage of not needing to interface with a touchy canbus.
Never engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man.
PGS

Post by PGS »

Grumpy wrote: $7.00 dollar marine grade push button from Amazon wired to my extra remote.  Installed on the left upper fairing with the opener velcroed under the fairing.  This is the third bike I did this with and it works great and is inexpensive and has the advantage of not needing to interface with a touchy canbus.

Thanks Grumpy. I'm using a small remote attached to a tank bag zipper for now. Not rainproof but we'll see how it works out. I do miss the high-beam flash trigger though - very convenient.