Optimate 4-CANBUS.. or

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
Arnes RT

Optimate 4-CANBUS.. or

Post by Arnes RT »

Hello,
I'm a newby here and have a simple question about battery maintainers. My question is: 'Is there something special' about using a special charger/maintainer for BMW's later model Canbus computer system?
I was reading about the Optimate 4 CANBUS which is a 1 amp battery maintainer/slow charger but was unable to read why this charger was absolutely needed, other than the fact it comes with a DIN male plug for use with the BMW DIN socket.

The reason for my question is that I have previously bought and used a NOCO charger/maintainer, and was very happy with it's performance in my old boat. This unit uses it's own pigtail connector (not SAE) which is connected directly to the battery. If I was to go the route of something like a NOCO 1amp charger/maintainer, could it be harmful to the BMW CANBUS system? My bike is a 2013 R1200RT.
Any insight will be greatly appreciated.
emlevy
Bike Model and Year: 2015 R1200RT
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Re: Optimate 4-CANBUS.. or

Post by emlevy »

It wouldn’t harm the bike at all, and it’s what I would recommend. Go direct to the battery with your existing charger/maintainer. It’ll work just fine.

2015 R1200RT | 2012 R1200R Classic
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 192 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

That's exactly what I did and no issue with the BMW system.
viewtopic.php?p=58067#p58067
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

You can use any optimiser if you fit a pig tail to the battery. If you want to use the aux socket instead of a pig tail: you need a canbus charger like the optimate 4. I have used an optimate on all my 1200# and on my 1250 through the aux socket for years with no issues

smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

Casbar wrote: You can use any optimiser if you fit a pig tail to the battery. If you want to use the aux socket instead of a pig tail: you need a canbus charger like the optimate 4. I have used an optimate on all my 1200# and on my 1250 through the aux socket for years with no issues
Same here 👍
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
Arnes RT

Post by Arnes RT »

Thanks for all the replies, it's very much appreciated.
My plan is now to use pigtail connectors to the battery for use with the trickle charger of my choosing. The last Harley I bought new was a 2014 Dyna with a partial CANBUS system, and there was no mention in owner's manual of requiring a special charger. So just wanted to cover my bases here.
Thanks again!
Arne
Last edited by Arnes RT on Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.