FROM 6 TO 2

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
guest2360

Re: FROM 6 TO 2

Post by guest2360 »

Oh yes. 20k on its side generates a lot of adrenalin. And if course the assistance of bystanders and the wife. 
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Having had a week to get used to my LE I'm still struggling to find fault.  Shift assist is brilliant but you have to remember to revert to the old fashioned clutch lever for the first 2 or things get a bit agriculture.  Very strangely it is more difficult to get on the centre stand than my 1600, mainly I think because there is more weight at the back compared with the K. On that it was nearly impossible to spin the front wheel when it was on its stand, not so with the RT. Find a twisty few miles of road and I dont think any toured can touch it. It would have been nice to be able to lock the GPS on its cradle but at least there is a locker it fits in. The tank seems wider just in front of the seat and I suspect it wont be long before it starts to show scuffs from my knees.  Dont expect it will be too long before somebody like Nippy Norman comes up with a solution.
Overall though its a leap into the future over the previous RT in all areas except possibly its looks.  Very bug like front on but you can't knock it's  aerodynamics, 55+ mpg is far better than I ever got out of my 2009 RT and there seems to be no buffeting or back pressure no matter what you do with the screen. I have so far fitted a full Autocom system which works very well and a Pyramid fender extender. As I already had a 29 ltr top box I haven't bothered to invest in the standard one yet. It looks nice and neat for the time being.
Last edited by guest2360 on Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

I could feel back pressure when I raised the screen,  Strange that ?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I have a low seat and only 5 Ft 7in so probably below it.  Either that or as there was so much on a 1600 I just think theres none.
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

I'm only 5'8" so not much difference,  my old (2007) FJR was terrible for back pressure with the screen up,
But I never noticed in on my 2012RT.  Maybe I sit farther forwars on the 14?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Bike now up to 1100 miles and well settled in.  The main difference over the 1600 engine wise was the vibes but these seem to be a lot less.  Could be me of course starting to forget how smooth the 1600 is. Then again the loss of nearly 100 kgs is something I remember every time I push it out the garage.  Fuel consumption is also staggering.  Half my mileage has been 2 up and the other half a bit spirited. 58 mpg.  I have shift assistance and its definitely worth the money even though now and again the change can feel a bit sharp. I think the old wives tale about boxer drinking oil is also dead, consumption is nil. 
There is more gear changing involved over the 1600 but performance wise 0 - XXX  is as good if not better.  Off the straight its faster and not half the effort. All in all, no more Ks for me.