Staying dry in rain, 2012 RT seat

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
raider57
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT, 2012
Has liked: 1 time
United States of America

Staying dry in rain, 2012 RT seat

Post by raider57 »

Not sure if this common but I’ve tried several brands of rain pants without luck. My current Olympia pants, which I assumed are top quality, leaked at the crotch during a 100 mile run through steady rain. They held out rain for about 30 minutes. I’ve noticed my 2012 RT seat seems to accumulate a puddle of water that eventually permeates the rain pant fabric after a period of time.
Any ideas or solutions?
Levisp

Re: Staying dry in rain, 2012 RT seat

Post by Levisp »

I think this is quite a common problem with Gortex type of waterproof linings. For Gortex to breath the lining has to allow some airflow. It keeps water out because the water droplets are much bigger than air molecule. However eventually the lining can get super saturated and when that happens water eventually gets in. I'm guessing if you are sitting in a puddle this is what is happening. The only solution I know is something like the Scott over jackets and trousers.

https://www.motolegends.com/reviews/Sco ... -DP-review

Motoledgends did an interesting article regards waterproof motorcycle gear. Basically when manufacturers say its 100 % waterproof don't believe a word of it. Most gear is good to a point but there are limits.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I use either Berghaus Paclite, Men's Paclite Overtrousers - Black | Berghaus or Sprayway Mountain, Mountain Men's Rainpant | Sprayway Gore-Tex overtrousers.

For my top half, I have a used Scotgreat ex-police hi viz Gore-Tex jacket, de-badged with the chequered tape removed too.
Similar to this one, Used British Police Surplus Hi-vis GORE-TEX Jacket - 594580, Uninsulated Military Jackets at Sportsman's Guide (sportsmansguide.com)

Motolegends certainly seem to recommend the two-piece suit approach, irrespective of what quality textile garments you wear, even Rukka laminated.
Last edited by David. on Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BoB21
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Use Rukka pro trousers and even in 8 hours of biblical pissing it down, was bone dry when got home. also after getting changed checked them and would have been more than comfortable to put them back on again. Generally you get what you pay for, if you can afford and justify the best makes get them. Also expect them to last many years to come so in the long run good value for money.
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

Levisp wrote: Basically when manufacturers say its 100 % waterproof don't believe a word of it. Most gear is good to a point but there are limits.

That is true of most things, watches and phones in particular.

I used to be a scuba diving instructor and it is interesting to note that virtually nothing in diving is ever marked as "water proof" it is normally "water resistant" as it is inevitable that someone will flood it what ever it is. I had a dive computer that was rated to 500m and that was still marked resistant. 
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

BoB21 wrote: Use Rukka pro trousers and even in 8 hours of biblical pissing it down, was bone dry when got home. also after getting changed checked them and would have been more than comfortable to put them back on again. Generally you get what you pay for, if you can afford and justify the best makes get them. Also expect them to last many years to come so in the long run good value for money.

Totally agree Rukka is good gear. My suit is now over 10 years old and still performs well. However if I get caught in terrible weather and have mega miles to ride I put on the Scott waterproofs on over the top. Acts a a double layer of waterproofing, keeps me warm and as a bonus the high viz jacket helps me being seen in poor weather. Dry, warm and visible. :)
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

My Sprayway Mountain Gore-Tex overtrousers were originally purchased many years ago for walking. Decided to order a new pair today in a longer leg length for on the bike. Plus, the Sprayway ones are little more robust than those from Berghaus and now I don't need them to pack down as small.

As above, I do like to double bag myself and the hi viz ex-plod jacket is good in poor visability when it's raining.
Last edited by David. on Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
donmarco

Post by donmarco »

Having ridden in the rain on numerous cross country trips, I've used Klim and BMW jackets/pants.  My last ride using Klim Badlands was through some 2500 miles through rain, storms and wind.  Miserable as miserable can be, but not a drop of water got through jacket or pants.
Attachments
FHD0034.JPG