Got my new bike today.

Been on a trip and want to tell the world about it? Use this section to report on ride outs, tours and decent routes you have been on remember we love pictures.
omnione
Great Britain

Got my new bike today.

Post by omnione »

Well, picked up my new R1200RT today, I was a little sad to see the K1600GTL go but I can't afford two bikes and I was really ready for a change.

First impressions were not too good, the bike was pinking quite badly on the ride home and the engine seemed a little noisier than my other R1200RT's that I have owned, but then it is a brand new design and apart from the overall shape is nothing like the previous ones so direct comparison isn’t really possible, also  I must bear in mind this is still partially air-cooled and the GTL was completely water-cooled so that would be quieter, but with only 54 miles on the clock any form of judgement is far too premature. On the plus side no transmission backlash, not a bit,  absolutely wonderful, just smooth gear changes up or down, running round town on this bike no longer frightens women and children when you go on and off the throttle. It was worth changing the bike for that reason alone.

The rest of it is fine, the reduced  weight compared to the GTL is very noticeable and the bike can certainly be whipped round the country lanes a lot easier. The ride seemed lot stiffer (more sporting) even allowing for the weight reduction than the GTL but when I got home I discovered the damper setting was set a little too stiff for me and the pre-load on the spring was also quite high, fortunately both adjustments are quick and easy and a quick run round the block after adjustment confirmed a big improvement, that will probably be the last time I touch that rear shock.

Just as an aside, I mentioned in an earlier post (may have been on the K1600 forum)  I had decided to go for the base model and just add a couple of extras (cruise control and tyre monitors) wishfully thinking I would not miss the other bits and bobs fitted as standard on the GTL, well, central locking is one item I will really miss, it was something I used every time I left the bike and did not give it a second thought until now, now I have got four locks to check every time! Oh well, we live and learn.

I will fuel up tomorrow with some super unleaded and put some more miles on it to see if it brings the pinking under control, if not, it is booked in for the first service next week the dealer can check it over then. (Got a funny feeling it may be something I might have to live  with, the engine is probably running a very lean mixture and lots of ignition advance to reduce emissions ) Are any other water-cooled RT's pinking? Or is just mine.

I have spent the evening fitting a Shad SH50 top box that I ordered from Spain, no one seemed to have one in this country although they are popular in the States, and if I say so myself I think it looks quite good. It is quite dark now hence no photo,s on this post,  I will try and post some pictures tomorrow then you can tell me what you think.

All my old bikes some my photo's some library ones. https://plus.google.com/photos/10247855 ... 44vW9K6McA
guest2360

Re: Got my new bike today.

Post by guest2360 »

Pinking doesn't sound right to me.  On my swop GTL to RT after 3 years I definitely noticed more engine noises but nothing like a pink.  Have you tried different engine modes to see if it changes.  Just remember when you do it will automatically change the damping. I changed into Dynamic on the move yesterday on a slightly bumpy road and thought for a moment the rear had gone solid as it changed itself to Hard.
Still convinced its nearly as quick as my GTL and the transmission is a revelation.   
omnione
Great Britain

Post by omnione »

Progress update.

Added a couple of photos to my google photo's site at the bottom of my posts, the ebony colour is starting to grow on me,  I have made my mind up and ordered the paint-able cover for the top box, when it arrives, I will paint it ebony, that should tie it in nicely.

Filled up with some super unleaded and have managed to put a few more miles on the bike over the weekend, thankfully that pinking type noise is reducing in intensity. I did try the rain engine mode but that didn’t make any difference.

The engine is starting to loosen up nicely, can't imagine what’s it is going to go like when it is properly run in. I totally agree RTman10, in the real world there is going to be very little difference performance wise between the GTL and this one. Maybe a few more gear-changes! Then again maybe not. The temptation with the GTL was to run quite high gears, i.e. no problem at all driving at town speeds in 4th sometimes 5th. The RT feels like it needs to spin a bit higher and 3rd is really the highest comfortable gear for town work (30mph (ish)) which means in a converse way less gear changes especially if you stop and start a lot. And what about that exhaust note! How did BMW get that past the regulators? Really sounds like a proper motorbike now instead of an Easyjet A320 on a take off run.

Bet everyone’s  seen this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1T4nguQ8Bg now that’s fast, wonder how he got the speed to show up on the digital display? (Don't tell me it's something else I’ve missed out on by buying the basic bike).
All my old bikes some my photo's some library ones. https://plus.google.com/photos/10247855 ... 44vW9K6McA
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Not sure about all bikes having the digital Speedo.  Its in the vehicle display menu.  You, or at least me, can choose between the RT logo you get on switch on, Speedo or blank. I can't get the Motorrad site to show the different specs. All the later 1600s had it and its the same set up.
Have a look at the Quick Manuel for Menu card. Settings, User, Background set.
Last edited by guest2360 on Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
omnione
Great Britain

Post by omnione »

Thanks I'll have a look tomorrow