To Install Crash Bars or Not?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
California Dreamin

To Install Crash Bars or Not?

Post by California Dreamin »

One month owner of 2018 R1200RT and loving it.  Looking at crash bars for side luggage and engine and would appreciate candid input on the pros and cons.  Seems like there is a split between the haves and have nots when it comes to crash bars on the RT.  No drops to date but just getting back into riding after 20 years off so certainly a novice on the RT.  Thanks. 
Grumpy

Re: To Install Crash Bars or Not?

Post by Grumpy »

I would install. Things happen and even a drop at low or no speed can be very expensive. I like the look, but even if I didn't I still would have them.
Never engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man.
California Dreamin

Thanks.  My RT is alpine white.  Any thoughts on color option that matches well and also seeing Wunderlich and Ilium Work as aftermarket crash bar providers.  Any insights on color matching and who to buy from would be appreciated.  Peace. 
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

I chose silver Wunderlich bars for my Alpine White RT.  Ilium are expensive here in the UK. They provide much more protection than cylinder head guards.
Last edited by beemerboy9 on Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Bentall
Kim_Y
Bike Model and Year: R1200rt 2016
Been liked: 7 times
United States of America

Post by Kim_Y »

It's better to have them and not need them, than to need them and not have them!!! I installed the Ilium bars which also provided me with a great location to mount my auxiliary lights.  Two upgrades I really enjoy having. These Clearwater LED lights were a game changer for night riding and more visibility to drivers during the day.  The Ilium bars allow you to service the bike without removing them which is a plus.
Attachments
R1200rt_Right_View01.jpg
R1200rt_Left View01.jpg
R1200rt_Front View_02.jpg
Last edited by Kim_Y on Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Kim Y.
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 218 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

+1 for the Clearwater lights, brilliant in the true sense of the word. They really do get other drivers attention, but as an import they are an awful  lot of money.

Crashbars - Of choice I'd have Iliumworks, but again pricey.

Last edited by Steve398 on Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

One downside to the luggage bars is if you [size=2px]want to [/size]ride without the panniers the bike is still just as wide so filtering is not as easy as it could be. Personally I just have head protectors on the front and armour fend on the panniers
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

If you are going to keep the bike quite awhile its definitely worth the cost to install engine and luggage protection , if you are not in a hurry they can be found on E-Bay or this club for sale , what type ? well the choice is infinite , personally i have Heed fitted on my bike excellent value and they fitted no problem , once when i came to part exchange my old bike it was terrible trying to release the Allen bolts on the engine base rather than snap them i left the bars on the bike !!!! 
dogulator

Post by dogulator »

While probably not what you’re looking for, I just installed Machine Art Moto’s X-head guards on my 2018 RT…
I’m quite pleased with how they look and how easy they were to install.
Probably not protection you desire, but at least it will protect the drop. 

Attachments
AF3DFE51-E95F-4737-AFB8-712636F12AB8.jpeg
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 218 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

PeteM wrote: One downside to the luggage bars is if you want to [/size]ride without the panniers the bike is still just as wide so filtering is not as easy as it could be. Personally I just have head protectors on the front and armour fend on the panniers

I believe the protruding bit of the Ilium rear bars can be easily removed if you're not using the panniers, the Wunderlichs are permanent. 
Kim_Y
Bike Model and Year: R1200rt 2016
Been liked: 7 times
United States of America

Post by Kim_Y »

That's correct, it takes about 5 minutes to remove them, nice design.
-Kim Y.
California Dreamin

Thanks for the feedback everyone.  The pics really helped.  Going with Ilium crash bars in black and also the suggested light setup as well. 

With Gratitude.
Rick G

Post by Rick G »

I had the Wunderlichs front and rear installed on my 2020 RT before I even picked up.  With my history of stupid drops, I thought it would be good insurance.  Insurance I used by the end of the first week of ownership!  What can I say, shit happens.  No damage to bike or luggage, small scratch on bars to remind me to be more careful.

As for looks, I liked the looks of the Wunderlich front bars better than Illum.  Follows the lines of the cylinder making it look factory.  The black almost disappears.  I like them!

Rick G